Re: Dory photos

  • danoyes1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2007
      Hi all
      about what I'm working on... bringing a boat to the wooden boat show
      in Mystic Seaport Coneticut. the steam ship Sabino will be open for
      tours and the rare engine shed will be open to the public. I have
      posted photos of the boat I'm bringing (Ipswich Bay 18)in pop pop dory
      album.
      Joel stoped by last night to pick up the Hammer Head pop pop engine
      for some modifications, he wants to put a right algle in the pulse
      pipe just after the boiler chamber.

      Pete, I did not go over, but I did have the sail touching the
      water.have in the past,so have friends, but the little skiff is a
      blast to sail.
      Dan
      http://dansdories.googlepages.com

      ...--- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
      <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

      > Dan,
      >
      > I enjoyed looking thru your Dory pop-pop album. Nice looking boats.
      In

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007

        Hi Dan,

        I like your boats! I wish that I were in a position  to purchase one and sail th Hudson. It looks like it would trailer well.

        I didn't know much about the Sabino so I Googled. It's apparently the last of the coal fired steamboats, commercial that is. A friend, Carl Kreigeskotte still uses coal on his 23' launch "Saucy".

        Here's a link that gives the history of the S.S. Sabino: http://www.nps.gov/maritime/nhl/sabino.htm

        By the way Mystic is a nice area. We visited last year with our son's family. The Aquarium was a hit. Another enjoyable place to visit is Essex, CT. They have both a Steam Locamotive and steamboat offering rides.

        Enjoy,

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "danoyes1" <danoyes1@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        > about what I'm working on... bringing a boat to the wooden boat show
        > in Mystic Seaport Coneticut. the steam ship Sabino will be open for
        > tours and the rare engine shed will be open to the public. I have
        > posted photos of the boat I'm bringing (Ipswich Bay 18)in pop pop dory
        > album.
        > Joel stoped by last night to pick up the Hammer Head pop pop engine
        > for some modifications, he wants to put a right algle in the pulse
        > pipe just after the boiler chamber.
        >
        > Pete, I did not go over, but I did have the sail touching the
        > water.have in the past,so have friends, but the little skiff is a
        > blast to sail.
        > Dan
        > http://dansdories.googlepages.com
        >

        > ...--- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
        > georgeyyy@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Dan,
        > >
        > > I enjoyed looking thru your Dory pop-pop album. Nice looking boats.
        > In
        > > one photo it looks like your gunwhale is under water. Did you stay
        > > upright?
        > >
        > > Lots of sailing on the Hudson. One of your boats would fit right in.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Pete

      • danoyes1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2007
          Hi all
          well the wooden boat show was a real treat. quite a bit of interest
          in the sailing dory I brought, and a possible magazine article, good
          stuff.
          I was breathing the fragrant scent of coal smoak all weekend as we
          were docked right across from Sabino. We made it over just in time
          to catch the special Sabino engine room tour, glistening oiled metal
          every where, moving and steaming and coal clattering into the fire
          box.
          Dan