Dory photos

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2007
      Dan,

      I enjoyed looking thru your Dory pop-pop album. Nice looking boats. In
      one photo it looks like your gunwhale is under water. Did you stay
      upright?

      Lots of sailing on the Hudson. One of your boats would fit right in.

      Regards,

      Pete
    • danoyes1
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2007
        Hi all
        about what I'm working on... bringing a boat to the wooden boat show
        in Mystic Seaport Coneticut. the steam ship Sabino will be open for
        tours and the rare engine shed will be open to the public. I have
        posted photos of the boat I'm bringing (Ipswich Bay 18)in pop pop dory
        album.
        Joel stoped by last night to pick up the Hammer Head pop pop engine
        for some modifications, he wants to put a right algle in the pulse
        pipe just after the boiler chamber.

        Pete, I did not go over, but I did have the sail touching the
        water.have in the past,so have friends, but the little skiff is a
        blast to sail.
        Dan
        http://dansdories.googlepages.com

        ...--- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2007

          Hi Dan,

          I like your boats! I wish that I were in a position  to purchase one and sail th Hudson. It looks like it would trailer well.

          I didn't know much about the Sabino so I Googled. It's apparently the last of the coal fired steamboats, commercial that is. A friend, Carl Kreigeskotte still uses coal on his 23' launch "Saucy".

          Here's a link that gives the history of the S.S. Sabino: http://www.nps.gov/maritime/nhl/sabino.htm

          By the way Mystic is a nice area. We visited last year with our son's family. The Aquarium was a hit. Another enjoyable place to visit is Essex, CT. They have both a Steam Locamotive and steamboat offering rides.

          Enjoy,

          Pete

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "danoyes1" <danoyes1@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          > about what I'm working on... bringing a boat to the wooden boat show
          > in Mystic Seaport Coneticut. the steam ship Sabino will be open for
          > tours and the rare engine shed will be open to the public. I have
          > posted photos of the boat I'm bringing (Ipswich Bay 18)in pop pop dory
          > album.
          > Joel stoped by last night to pick up the Hammer Head pop pop engine
          > for some modifications, he wants to put a right algle in the pulse
          > pipe just after the boiler chamber.
          >
          > Pete, I did not go over, but I did have the sail touching the
          > water.have in the past,so have friends, but the little skiff is a
          > blast to sail.
          > Dan
          > http://dansdories.googlepages.com
          >

          > ...--- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B."
          > georgeyyy@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Dan,
          > >
          > > I enjoyed looking thru your Dory pop-pop album. Nice looking boats.
          > In
          > > one photo it looks like your gunwhale is under water. Did you stay
          > > upright?
          > >
          > > Lots of sailing on the Hudson. One of your boats would fit right in.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Pete

        • danoyes1
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2007
            Hi all
            well the wooden boat show was a real treat. quite a bit of interest
            in the sailing dory I brought, and a possible magazine article, good
            stuff.
            I was breathing the fragrant scent of coal smoak all weekend as we
            were docked right across from Sabino. We made it over just in time
            to catch the special Sabino engine room tour, glistening oiled metal
            every where, moving and steaming and coal clattering into the fire
            box.
            Dan