Re: Electric Pop-Pop

  • Jean-Yves Renaud
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2007
      I cannot read "Model Engineer" because it is not sold in French
      shops, but I guess I know the author who is probably Pr Le Bot. He is
      the pop-pop pope, or at least one of them. Pr Le Bot is 85 (maybe now
      86). Some years ago (10 years?) he created a group of amateurs of pop-
      pop boats. And a magazine was published for 3 years (in French). Pr
      Le Bot is full of humor. All the articles (some very serious and some
      funny) in the magazine were written by himself under various names
      which were for instance the translation in French and English of his
      Breton's name.
      According to his business card he is "amateur de marine". I met him
      twice. The house of Pr Le Bot is as a museum. From the basement to
      the roof there are pop-pop boats everywhere, pictures, marine
      paintings, steering wheel, compass, books... In the basement there is
      a well equipped workshop (with drilling machine, hydraulic press,
      lathe, milling machine...) and a laboratory. Some pop-pop boats are
      very rare and valuable ones. I have been impressed by his
      skillfulness. Should I live so long I would like to be as fast minded
      as he is. He is involved in many other projects, he writes books, he
      animates working groups... People from marine museums come sometimes
      to meet him and ask advices.
      I must also say a few words about his documentation. In addition to
      thousand books (on marine, boat and steam) his library includes
      hundreds of binders, all numbered. In his office are binders A1 to
      A100. Already impressive, but last time I met him he looked for
      something in his computer and said "It is in binder C37" and we went
      to another room. (And the paper was at the right place). I have not
      seen the B series which certainly exists in another room.
      Some words about his boat with an electric pop-pop. It is
      the "Abeille Whisky". A tug boat built by Pr Le Bot. In France, the
      major company in tug business is "les Abeilles" (Bees) and it belongs
      to the Bourbon family. Only a limited number of people know that. The
      name of the biggest tug is Abeille Bourbon. It became Abeille Whisky
      for Pr Le Bot's model. That is an example of his humor.
      Concerning the electric pop-pop, the main purpose was to demonstrate
      that a pulsed waterjet works. And it does.
      Jean-Yves
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2007
        You have hit the nail right on the head Jean-Yves.
        The other author is Romain Gransard.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2007
          Pr Le Bot has a grand-son named Romain and I know he helped his grand-
          father 4 years ago for a stationary elcetric pop-pop engine. I don't
          know his family name but Romain is no very common.

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny"