Electric Pop-Pop

    Message 1 of 4 , May 20 5:19 AM
      The current Model Engineer No 4300, 25May to 7 June 2007 has an article on
      an electric pop-pop motor and its use in a boat.

      The French authors are using it to study and improve steam ones, but of
      course it make a desperately inefficient but novel mode of propulsion in
      itself.

      David 1/2d
    • Jean-Yves Renaud
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20 8:32 AM
        I cannot read "Model Engineer" because it is not sold in French
        shops, but I guess I know the author who is probably Pr Le Bot. He is
        the pop-pop pope, or at least one of them. Pr Le Bot is 85 (maybe now
        86). Some years ago (10 years?) he created a group of amateurs of pop-
        pop boats. And a magazine was published for 3 years (in French). Pr
        Le Bot is full of humor. All the articles (some very serious and some
        funny) in the magazine were written by himself under various names
        which were for instance the translation in French and English of his
        Breton's name.
        According to his business card he is "amateur de marine". I met him
        twice. The house of Pr Le Bot is as a museum. From the basement to
        the roof there are pop-pop boats everywhere, pictures, marine
        paintings, steering wheel, compass, books... In the basement there is
        a well equipped workshop (with drilling machine, hydraulic press,
        lathe, milling machine...) and a laboratory. Some pop-pop boats are
        very rare and valuable ones. I have been impressed by his
        skillfulness. Should I live so long I would like to be as fast minded
        as he is. He is involved in many other projects, he writes books, he
        animates working groups... People from marine museums come sometimes
        to meet him and ask advices.
        I must also say a few words about his documentation. In addition to
        thousand books (on marine, boat and steam) his library includes
        hundreds of binders, all numbered. In his office are binders A1 to
        A100. Already impressive, but last time I met him he looked for
        something in his computer and said "It is in binder C37" and we went
        to another room. (And the paper was at the right place). I have not
        seen the B series which certainly exists in another room.
        Some words about his boat with an electric pop-pop. It is
        the "Abeille Whisky". A tug boat built by Pr Le Bot. In France, the
        major company in tug business is "les Abeilles" (Bees) and it belongs
        to the Bourbon family. Only a limited number of people know that. The
        name of the biggest tug is Abeille Bourbon. It became Abeille Whisky
        for Pr Le Bot's model. That is an example of his humor.
        Concerning the electric pop-pop, the main purpose was to demonstrate
        that a pulsed waterjet works. And it does.
        Jean-Yves
        Message 3 of 4 , May 20 8:49 AM
          You have hit the nail right on the head Jean-Yves.
          The other author is Romain Gransard.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 20 10:42 AM
            Pr Le Bot has a grand-son named Romain and I know he helped his grand-
            father 4 years ago for a stationary elcetric pop-pop engine. I don't
            know his family name but Romain is no very common.

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny"