Another Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 30 , May 14, 2007
      This one shows a clipping from The Lost Engines of Roanoke web site
      developed by our member Richard Jenkins. It is dedicated to four
      survivors of the steam era. Hidden among the creepers at the Virginia
      Scrap Iron and Metal Co. yard on South Jefferson Street in Roanoke,
      VA, are four steam engines that time forgot. Norfolk & Western
      locomotives 917, 1118, 1134, and 1151 have been there awaiting their
      fate since they were sold for scrap in 1950. This web site was started
      in 1997 to promote the preservation of these "Lost Engines"'. Go to
      <http://lostengines.railfan.net/> to visit Richard's web site.
      Message 2 of 30 , May 15, 2007

        Thanks Frank & Richard-

        To Dan Noyes:

        Dan, isn't the engine in this link in your neck of the woods in MA? http://lostengines.railfan.net/newbury.shtml

        It's a shame to see these Steam locomotives disappear from our landscapes. There just isn't enough available funds or interest to preserve them. Fortunately ther are a few in Museums and live steam sites to help us remember the days that were... Essex, CT has both a steam locomotive and steamboat as tourist attractions. They are both available for rides. http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ It's a nice day with kids and/or grandkids.

        Pete

        West Hurley, New York

        Message 3 of 30 , May 18, 2007

          This one shows WDSmith's Cave of Doom at <http://www.smithsff.us>.
          If you decide to go inside and get lost, in spite of the warning,
          remember that one way to escape would be to turn off your computer.

          old Frank
        • wdsmith
          Message 4 of 30 , May 20, 2007
            Good Grief, Frank!!!!
            I've been trying to keep that hid because it is so far out of date most of the links work only on UNIVAC computers!  :-[

            I am so ashamed!
            but, one of these days, I'll get far enough along with backyard cleaning that I can make it a little more presentable....  IF I can remember how.

            wds

            Hi All,

            Message 5 of 30 , May 20, 2007
              Hi WD,

              That ashamed act might have worked before, but I saw your picture when
              I visited the Cave of Doom and you do not look like a person who would
              know what it feels like to be ashamed of anything.

              Best wishes, Frank

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, wdsmith <dsmith314@...> wrote:

              > Good Grief, Frank!!!!
              > I've been trying to keep that hid because it is so far out of date most
              > of the links work only on UNIVAC computers! :-[
              >
              > I am so ashamed!
              > but, one of these days, I'll get far enough along with backyard
              cleaning
              > that I can make it a little more presentable.... IF I can remember how.
              >
              > wds
              >
              > Frank McNeill wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > This one shows WDSmith's Cave of Doom at <http://www.smithsff.us
              > > <http://www.smithsff.us>>.
              > > If you decide to go inside and get lost, in spite of the warning,
              > > remember that one way to escape would be to turn off your computer.
              > >
              > > old Frank

            • wdsmith
              Message 6 of 30 , May 20, 2007
                The one on the entry page of me in my red overalls?

                Message 7 of 30 , May 21, 2007
                  Was that your picture? The picture I saw was one of you and your
                  sister. There were two kids in the picture, a tall one and a short
                  one. The tall one was wearing a dress so I figured you were the short
                  one with a shameless expression on his face.

                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, wdsmith <dsmith314@...> wrote:

                  > The one on the entry page of me in my red overalls?
                  >
                  > Frank McNeill wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi WD,
                  > >
                  > > That ashamed act might have worked before, but I saw your picture when
                  > > I visited the Cave of Doom and you do not look like a person who would
                  > > know what it feels like to be ashamed of anything.
                  > >
                  > > Best wishes, Frank
                  > >
                  > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:pop-pop-steamboats%40yahoogroups.com>, wdsmith <dsmith314@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Good Grief, Frank!!!!
                  > > > I've been trying to keep that hid because it is so far out of
                  date most
                  > > > of the links work only on UNIVAC computers! :-[
                  > > >
                  > > > I am so ashamed!
                  > > > but, one of these days, I'll get far enough along with backyard
                  > > cleaning
                  > > > that I can make it a little more presentable.... IF I can
                  remember how.

                  > > > wds

                  > > <http://www.smithsff.us>

                • wdsmith
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 21, 2007
                    I was the one with the long nose and shaggy haircut.

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 24, 2007
                      A picture of WDSmith (the one with the long nose and shaggy haircut)
                      has been posted on the home page. ttfn, old Frank

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 26, 2007

                        This one shows The Science Toy Maker's Home Page at
                        <http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/index.html>. Be careful about where
                        you step and don't touch anything that looks like wet paint.

                        old Frank
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 2, 2009

                          This one shows an assortment of STEAMSHOES built by Slater Harrison's friend, Dr. Guus Flogel in Holland. If you have heard the expression "fleet of foot" Holland is probably where it came from.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 3, 2009
                            Hi Pete and All,

                            The short series of home page pictures borrowed from members' photo albums has been interupted to post a picture of small wooden buildings, boats, etc. that can be constructed using Strombeck Sun Designs.
                            I don't know if any of the boats are the right size for modification as pop-pop boats, but the nice thing about plans is that their scale can be made larger or smaller.
                            We have members who joined in response to invitations I posted on a few woodworking groups, so they might want to see what else this company has in the way of plans by using a link to Strombeck Sun Designs that I added to the links section.

                            Best wishes,
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 4, 2009

                              I finally managed- I hope- to post a home page picture in spite of the best efforts of Yahoo Groups to keep it from happening. If I come back in the morning and see that the current picture has been removed or replaced it won't be the first time stuff like that has happened. Now go to http://tinyurl.com/yadsae4 for video of Daryl's beautiful boats.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 4, 2009
                                Posting pictures has become a struggle the last couple of days. Sometimes the pictures are there and other times not. When a thumbnail is clicked on, the full size doesn't exist. This is just with pictures I've posted in the last couple of days.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 5, 2009
                                  Hi Zoomkat,

                                  Pete Baker and I know what that is like from a time when the pop-pop group didn't exist. For some reason or other another co-owner had decided to delete the group. There is a warning that deletion is permanent, so I thought the group was gone forever. Fortunately Pete is made of sterner stuff, because he got in touch with somebody at Yahoo and stayed on the case until the group was finally restored from Yahoo archives.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 18, 2009

                                    This one shows clips of a restaurant in Downers Grove, Illinois that uses toy trains to deliver food and entertainment to customers. I don't know if this restaurant is a branch of the Choo Choo Diner in Des Plaines, or just a copycat. I posted it to encourage Daryl to use pop-pop coffee makers to deliver stuff to clients seated around an elevated version of his pop-pop boats test tank.

                                    Best wishes, Frank
                                  • Tim
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 19, 2009
                                      Hi Frank.

                                      How about "Daryl a La Ronde" where the pop pop boats in the pool contra rotate in direction to the rotation of the restaurant, giving the impression of even more speed? Or perhaps if they went in the same direction as the restaurant they would actually be going faster. That is possibly one for Jean-Yves to research I think. In any case there are several revolving restaurants in Canada to choose from. Perhaps Daryl will do some gastronomic pop pop research for us. Have fun Daryl, and keep sniffing those rich Brazilians! It would appear to have great benefits to your pop pop development. It may be a source of research funds as well. Pop pops on the Rio Grande, or in El Popo volcano. Actually, you could investigate the use of geothermal pop pop power like that!

                                      Silliness over.

                                      All the best.

                                      Tim

                                      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi All,
                                      >
                                      > This one shows clips of a restaurant in Downers Grove, Illinois that uses toy trains to deliver food and entertainment to customers. I don't know if this restaurant is a branch of the Choo Choo Diner in Des Plaines, or just a copycat. I posted it to encourage Daryl to use pop-pop coffee makers to deliver stuff to clients seated around an elevated version of his pop-pop boats test tank.
                                      >
                                      > Best wishes, Frank

                                    • Tim
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 19, 2009
                                        Hi all.

                                        Got Brazil and Mexico confused. Been that sort of day.

                                        Tim

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 22, 2010

                                          This one has been used before. It shows a wooden hull with an engine that is not made of round tubing or formed into a coil. Go to message number 55 to read about it. Richard is currently revisiting his idea for using a Kitchen rudder to provide steering and reverse propulsion under remote control.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 16, 2010

                                            Today's home page picture was "borrowed" from Slater Harrison's "Science Toy Maker" website at http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/ for the benefit of aunts, uncles, parents, grand parents and others who are trying to find something for children to do when it is too wet, dry, hot or cold for them to go outside. If it isn't too wet dry hot or cold now, remember that it will be at some time in the future and you will need to find his website in order to maintain your sanity.

                                            Best wishes,
                                            Old Frank- parent, grandparent and great grandparent
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 23, 2010
                                              Here is another one based loosely on stuff from the website Pete found. The top image shows a "brig" defined as having two masts with square rigged sails. The aft mast might also have a spanker sail. The bottom image shows a "hermaphrodite brig", aka "brigantine" with a forward mast carrying square rigged sails. Some R/C models use servos to rotate masts rather than winches for running rigging move the sails. The advantage of square rigging is that it would not interfere with pop-pop engines installed between the fore and aft masts.

                                              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                                              > Hi All,
                                              >
                                              > Today's home page picture was "borrowed" from Slater Harrison's "Science Toy Maker" website at http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/ for the benefit of aunts, uncles, parents, grand parents and others who are trying to find something for children to do when it is too wet, dry, hot or cold for them to go outside. If it isn't too wet dry hot or cold now, remember that it will be at some time in the future and you will need to find his website in order to maintain your sanity.
                                              >
                                              > Best wishes,
                                              > Old Frank- parent, grandparent and great grandparent

                                            • frankmcneill
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 9, 2010

                                                The "new" home page picture was borrowed from Jack Stinson's "Weird Jack" album in the photos section. It shows a boat with a diaphragm type pop-pop engine and a radio control item described as a Spektrum receiver/servo brick with dimension of 1"x3/4"x3/8", including two on-board servo mechanisms powered by a rechargeable lithium polymer battery smaller than a stick of gum. Jack wrote that his small radio controlled boats could be trimmed to run in tight circles in his kitchen sink. Electronics components are getting smaller, so take a closer look next time you swat a fly, it might be a model airplane.