Wicking -- follow up information

  • d_mcilvaine
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2007
      got some good stuff at Michael's in their candle making section. Also they have something
      called a wick clip. A round flanged washer with hole in the center used to hold a wick in a
      candle mold before pouring. They are ideal props for a wick in an oil lamp. Both thse
      products are made by Yaley Enterprises and come in various sizes small, medium, large.

      I also experimented with mineral oil. which will burn, but it also has much soot and does not
      lite as easily as olive oil.

      Do not try to use charcoal lighter fluid! (Nuff said!)

      Since charcoal burns hot, I think the next time I have some on the grill, I will take a piece and
      see if I can arrange it in a small pan to power a putt-putt boiler. A glowing coal pushed up
      under the boiler should put out a lot of heat. Humm-- a real steam boat powered by a coal
      fired boiler, should smell authentic too!

      I'll post when I have more test results!

      Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2007

        Hi Dave,

        Thanks for the follow up. I hope that you are keeping a "LAB" book that includes photos. It would be a neat hand-me-down for your grandkids.

        On your charcoal idea. I have read of steamboat enthusiasts using charcoal as a heat source on their people carrying boats. Many use fuel oil or scrap and firewood. I have a friend who still uses coal. At the end of the day he looks like a locomotive fireman.

        Last summer I met a fellow who was using wood pellets as an experiment. He was weighing the convenience and ease of use against the cost. It's certainly cleaner than coal and fuel oil, easier to store than the other fuels.

        I have another story of a steam launch in Portland, OR that runs on bio-fuel. He sources are Mc-D's Burger King and other restaurants. I understand that you know when he's on the water as you can smell the fries!

        Pete