Re: Olive oil heater Wicks Question

  • eknispel70
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2007
      A different type of fuel we use in my high school chemistry class is Biodiesel made from
      soybean oil. I have had to design my own fuel tank to use with our wooden putt-putts, I
      use 3/4" copper end-caps from the hardware store.

      For wicking material, I went to a local candle making supply store and bought 3 feet of
      wick for about $1.50 which should last me the rest of my teaching career!

      I'll try to attach some photos but if not, visit my link pasted below:
      http://www.jburroughs.org/science/eknispel/studentpic06/PuttputtBoatRace-07/
      PuttputtBoatRace-07.html

      I have also used straight vegetable oil as a fuel but it can be a little more smokey.
      Good luck.
      Eric Knispel
      St. Louis, MO