Re: Olive oil heater Wicks Question

    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2007

      Hi Dave,

      Me again...

      To compliment Frank's find:

      http://www.wickstore.com/fluidwick.html

      They have a variety of options including fiberglass.

      > Hi Dave,
      >
      > My friend Google thinks you should use fiberglass wicks. You might
      > find them locally in an artsy-craftsy store, or go to:
      > <http://tinyurl.com/2y4z5u> to place an order.

    • d_mcilvaine
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2007
        Thanks for the replies. Yes I had thought of going to a local craft store (Michaels is local
        also another large chain) to look for wick material. I just haven't gotten to go in that
        direction yet in my travels. Next time I go up that way ( the two stores are about 100
        yards apart) I will check in on both of them.

        Also, I never thought of fiberglass!

        I also occurs to me that the wicks sold for cigarette lighters might also work, a 4" piece
        costs about $1 I think.

        Another idea was a local hardware farm store that sells oil lamps (Amish customers in the
        area). Wicks for oil lamps are there. I know I bought one for an oil lamp. That kind of
        wick was cheap and perhaps could be cut down into strips. But it is kind of woven so it
        might come apart.

        I also have some old candle stubs that we keep for electrical emergencies. I guess I could
        melt them down for the wicks, but that seems like too much work!

        Regarding fuel: I plan to try some mineral oil to see how that burns. Vaselene saturated
        cotten balls works too as an emergency light source, but burns very sooty! Maybe using
        fiberglass would be better. I have not tried that yet as a heat source since the soot would
        quickly coat the exterior of the boiler and ruin effeciency.

        I will keep you posted on the results of my various experiments!

        Dave in PA

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B." <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

        > Hi Dave,

        .....> They have a variety of options including fiberglass.

        > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Dave,
        > >
        > > My friend Google thinks you should use fiberglass wicks. You might
        > > find them locally in an artsy-craftsy store, or go to:
        > > <http://tinyurl.com/2y4z5u> to place an order.

      • eknispel70
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2007
          A different type of fuel we use in my high school chemistry class is Biodiesel made from
          soybean oil. I have had to design my own fuel tank to use with our wooden putt-putts, I
          use 3/4" copper end-caps from the hardware store.

          For wicking material, I went to a local candle making supply store and bought 3 feet of
          wick for about $1.50 which should last me the rest of my teaching career!

          I'll try to attach some photos but if not, visit my link pasted below:
          http://www.jburroughs.org/science/eknispel/studentpic06/PuttputtBoatRace-07/
          PuttputtBoatRace-07.html

          I have also used straight vegetable oil as a fuel but it can be a little more smokey.
          Good luck.
          Eric Knispel
          St. Louis, MO