Re: 'What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander”

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2007
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"
      <boite.de.j-y@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > As I said in a previous message (#672) I was disappointed to read so
      > many messages about carton. My first concern is the pop-pop engine
      > (whatever the boat it propels) and it seems that only a few of us are
      > interested by the engine. I build boats when needed to test my engines,
      > but (for now?) I'm not at all interested by papier mâché or other
      > polymer clay. Corresponding messages are spasm for me. And I'm not sure
      > I wish to read about remote control which was my former job (for big
      > engines and big ships).
      > Therefore, I think the idea of Frank to split things thanks to a new
      > forum is a very good idea. Those who are interested together by pop-pop
      > engines and model boats can register on both forums.
      > Jean-Yves

      Hi Jean-Yves,

      The new group "cardboardshipsandboats" was started to encourage
      development of methods for converting card stock display models of
      boats into reinforced, waterproof models of ships, boats, barges,
      etc., that might have any kind of propulsion system, or none at all.
      The "pop-pop-steamboats" group was started to encourage development of
      pop-pop boats that would resemble old steamboats, rather than recycled
      tin cans.
      What that means is that pop-pop-steamboats members who are interested
      in model boats should stay where they are on the pop-pop-steamboats
      group, and should not join the cardboardshipsandboats group, if they
      are not interested in the development of methods for converting card
      stock display models into working models.I am sorry if you don't like
      it, but that is the way the pop-pop-steamboats group was set up and
      the way that it will remain.

      Best wishes, Frank McNeill
    • Jean-Yves Renaud
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007
        Noted.
        I understand your point of view, Frank. And thank you for the time
        and energy your put on the forum. As I didn't know the exact purpose
        of the pop-pop steamboats forum I misinterpreted the opening of the
        other forum. I expected not to receive so many messages which have
        nothing to do with my (selfish) concern. I guess there will be no
        noticeable changes on this aspect, but I will survive.
        Jean-Yves

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007
          I can also understand your disappointment Jean-Yves.
          You referred to the group as a "forum" and probably expected to find
          the same degree of discipline and order that obtains on forums on our
          little "any topic, no rules and not much discussion group."
          The members of discussion groups are not under any obligation to
          answer questions, or provide information requested by others.
          Your concern is not selfish. You have shared the results of your
          experiments with us to a greater degree than anyone else I recall.
          Please continue posting your results, because they might attract the
          attention of web surfers and encourage someone with similar concerns
          to join the group. I am going to make it easier for people to join by
          making it unnecessary for would be members to obtain approval.
          If spam purveyors invade the group, I will boot them right back out.

          Best wishes, Frank