Home Page Pix

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2007
      Good morning Frank,

      It has been determined that both images are the same boat.
      Carl and Dallas are fellow collectors and friends. The vintage boat is
      most likely a product of Japan. I'll post Pix that Dallas sent when I
      get home this evening.

      Everyone have a great day!

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2007
        --- "Pete B." <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

        > Good morning Frank,
        >
        > It has been determined that both images are the same
        > boat.
        > Carl and Dallas are fellow collectors and friends.
        > The vintage boat is
        > most likely a product of Japan. I'll post Pix that
        > Dallas sent when I
        > get home this evening.
        >
        > Everyone have a great day!
        >
        > Pete

        Hi Pete, I still read the messages so I knew about the
        boat mix up and cobbled up the picture for lack of
        anything better to do. You can probably post stuff to
        the home page picture anytime you want to do so.
        You start by clicking on edit the description and
        progress to edit the image, then delete the image.
        From there on the procedure is the same as uploading
        something to the photos section.

        Saludos desde Texicas, old Frank

        TV dinner still cooling?
        http://tv.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2007

          Need Help!

          Do any of our members know anything about this "whimsical" model of the Clermont? I found it on E-bay and decided to buy it. The seller was asking $20, I got it for $15. It is said that it was owned by an 87 year old collector who has had it for "years".

          The reason I bought it is two fold. The obvious is that I'm interested in the North River (Clermont) steamboat. THe second is that its size, 14"L x 13"H x 4" W, is the approximate proportion of the Pop-Pop North River  Steamboat that I am working on. In that effort it's a hands on piece for a great reference.

          Any new projects?

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007

            Our Home Page photo is of the "FIREFLY" borrowed from Richard Jenkin's Photo Folder.

            If you have a project under way please consider updating our group on your progress. It's to everyone's benefit to share ideas.

            I have plans to get back to work on my copper pop-pop at the end of August after other activities slow down.

            Hope to hear from some of you!

            Pete

          • Jean-Yves Renaud
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007

              No Pete, we are not all sleeping. See hereafter a cut and paste of today's report about the

              Experimental proof (one more !) of the dissymmetry of a propulsion by reciprocating waterjet.

              Purpose of the experiment: to show that sucking water on the bow of a ship has a negligible impact; though a jet backward propels.

              Principle of the foresee assembly:

              A symmetrical hull (according to transverse and longitudinal axis) to avoid endless discussions.

              Electric pump located in the middle of a pipe of ID « d ».

              Internal diameter of the cross-over equal to more than 2xd.

              Thus, on one hand the pressure drops upstream and downstream will be nearly unchanged. And on the other hand, the speeds inside the cross-over will be very low and the resulting forces being opposed they will cancel each other.

              Measurement of the boat velocity in both cases: sucking and delivering.

              Practical results:

              Measurement of the boat velocity when propelled by jet. Result: 72mm/s.

              Measurement of the boat velocity during sucking. Result not measurable. Velocity lower than 1mm/min.

              Knowing that the thrust evolves as the square of the velocity, one can calculate the ratio between pushing and pulling forces. The pulling force (when sucking) is roughly 20 millions times weaker than the pushing one.

              Conclusion : this experiment confirms the theory. Sucking ahead has a negligible effect, and the related assumptions used in other documents are justified.

              For more details see www.eclecticspace.net .  ...when Loïc have found the time to do the job.