How did you get started with POP-POP's?

  • northriver07
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2006

      I thought I might start a discussion that would encourage participation...

      My interest started way back in the late 1950's. While in elementary school one of my best friends and I took an interest in mechanical things. While walking through an F.W. Woolworth's or J.J. Newbury's we both spotted our first pop-pop. We each bought one and had many "races" in a dammed up stream in back of my house in NH. After elementary school we went our separate ways. He moved to Cape Cod and I went to a school in Lenox, MA.

      I couple of years ago I decided to look for my 72 elementary school classmates and have a 50th reunion. The search went so well that we had a reunion last year and still plan our 50th. My pop-pop friend a alumnus of MIT and worked in acoustics. I work as a mechanical designer of motors and fans. At our first meeting after 47 years I presented my friend with a pop-pop steamboat that I had found at Lee Tools. We chuckled a little and then reminisced. We now have a network of almost 50 class of '57 classmate who stay in touch via the internet and have occasional gatherings in NH.

      An addendum to my interest: My avocation is researching and documenting Robert Fulton's steambot The North River (of CLERMONT). I am in the process of creating a 3D Solids model in CAD so that a second replica might be built. It started out as a project with the Saugerties (NY) Fulton Steamboat Foundation. The group is pretty much dormant. I, however, am continuing my work in hopes of building a working 3/8 scale model of the North River. If there are any contributors out there I can use any and all intrested parties. See the photo section for North River images.

      P.R.Baker -West Hurley, NY

      P.S. What is you interest in pop-pop's?