Copper steam boiler circa 1806

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2007

      I'm a little outside the circle, but leave no stone unturned! Does anyone know of drawings or museum displays that include a copper boiler similar to what Fulton may have used on his boat. I have been told that Bolton and Watt used similar boilers with their other engines. I have also learned that there is a copper boiler on display at the Science Museum in London. The Birmingham Public Library (UK) reportedly has the largest collection of Bolton & Watt documents

      North River of CLERMONT
      Copper Steam Boiler Details

      I am urgently looking for information on a typical circa 1806 copper boiler. A friend is building a large (90"/2286mm long) museum quality model of Robert Fulton's North River Steamboat. I have been researching the boat for a separate project and have offered to help the model maker with details for his project. He is scheduled to deliver his model to the Clermont Historic Site in early May for display during the 2007 Steamboat Celebration. Another bit of info is that Fulton first experimented with Steamboats in France on the Seine. The following was extracted from messages that I ahve been sending out to whomever I thought might have clues.

      From what I have been able to find the boiler used by Fulton was mostly similar to other boilers that Bolton and Watt would have used with their engines. We have the length and cross-section dimensions of the boiler. We are also pretty sure of the stack dimensions. What we don’t have are the details for the firebox door, clean-cut, draft openings and locations for the plumbing connections and possible gauges. If you could provide us with any sketches or descriptions that might indicate what the configuration of a typical copper boiler of that era was it would be greatly appreciated. Please forward this message to other resources as you feel necessary to expedite my request. Thank you.

      Best Regards,

      Pete

    • David Mc Ilvaine
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2007
        Robert Fulton was born in Lancaster County
        Pennsylvania where I now live. According to local
        sources, his first steamboat testing was done on the
        local (small) Conestoga River at a spot about a mile
        from where I live in Lancaster City!

        I know there is much local pride here about him, so I
        would assume that the local historical society and
        local history section of the public library would
        probably have most of the published information about
        him and his boats.

        I still don't have a pop-pop but am working on it. I
        have a stream with some 50 foot long pools on my
        property and want to entertain the grandchildren when
        Spring comes.

        Many posters here are so advanced in their research
        and building, that frankly I do not know where to
        begin. I think I will buy a few cheap boats to start.
        Has anyone had experience with spacetin.com?

        I also have distinct memories of a bathtub boat (white
        hull Red deck as I recall) as a 2 year old. It was
        powered by vinegar and soda I think! Safe for a kids
        bathtub play! I don't really recall how well it
        worked but I remember that it did move! 65 years old
        memories!!! I wonder how many tricks my mind has
        played on me. Does anyone else remember these kind of
        boats? If they do, I'm sane--if not, well . . .

        Sorry for the long post.

        Dave in Lancaster PA USA

        Looking for earth-friendly autos?
        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2007
          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, David Mc Ilvaine
          <d_mcilvaine@...> wrote:

          > Robert Fulton was born in Lancaster County
          > Pennsylvania where I now live. According to local
          > sources, his first steamboat testing was done on the
          > local (small) Conestoga River at a spot about a mile
          > from where I live in Lancaster City!
          >
          > I know there is much local pride here about him, so I
          > would assume that the local historical society and
          > local history section of the public library would
          > probably have most of the published information about
          > him and his boats.
          >
          > I still don't have a pop-pop but am working on it. I
          > have a stream with some 50 foot long pools on my
          > property and want to entertain the grandchildren when
          > Spring comes.
          >
          > Many posters here are so advanced in their research
          > and building, that frankly I do not know where to
          > begin. I think I will buy a few cheap boats to start.
          > Has anyone had experience with spacetin.com?
          >
          > I also have distinct memories of a bathtub boat (white
          > hull Red deck as I recall) as a 2 year old. It was
          > powered by vinegar and soda I think! Safe for a kids
          > bathtub play! I don't really recall how well it
          > worked but I remember that it did move! 65 years old
          > memories!!! I wonder how many tricks my mind has
          > played on me. Does anyone else remember these kind of
          > boats? If they do, I'm sane--if not, well . . .
          >
          > Sorry for the long post.
          >
          > Dave in Lancaster PA USA

          Hi Dave,

          Vinegar and baking soda, dry ice, soap on razor blades supported by
          surface tension, rubber band powered paddle wheelers, sailboats,
          turbine steam engines with beer cans for boilers and several pop-pop
          boats— and don't worry about being sane— if you were, you probably
          wouldn't have joined pop-pop-steamboats, would you?
          Go to the Pop-Pop Pages at <http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/> for
          all that there is to know about pop-pop boats. The heading there—
          What?HistoryHow?BuildLearnBuy is a array of "hot buttons."
          Click on "Build" if you want to build them, or "Buy" for the websites
          of people who sell pop-pop boats.

          Best wishes, old Frank
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2007

            Hi Dave,

            First, no apologies needed for a long post. If we don't post then we can't learn from each other. I, for one, am both pleased and amazed at how are discussion are developing. We have the basic boat and engine inputs as well as the technical information on how and why they work. Something for everyone!

            Although Fulton is a native of Lancaster County, PA. I don't believe that he tested his first steamboat there. If you change "steam" to "paddle" then I would agree. As a boy Fulton outfitted a small fishing boat with manually activated paddle wheels. Check out a couple of the line images of the paddle boat in Photos. Frank posted one from the Gutenburg site and I posted the other.

            There were a few before Fulton with steampowered boats. there are some issues over who was first. to name some of the key players from memory (I'm at work) there was Morey, Rumsey, Fitch, Stevens and Fulton in the US. Fulton observed their attempts as well as other in Europe. From what he learned he built a steamboat in France considerably smaller than the North River. His first attempt resulted in the boat breaking in half across the beam. The weight of the engine etc. was to much for the hull. He salvaged the hardware from the bottom of the Seine and installed it in a reinforced hull. That attempt worked. A couple of years later he hooked up with Robert Livingston. Together they came up with the idea of the North River steamboat. It was erroneously called the CLERMONT after the North River (Hudson) estate of Livingston. Although Fulton is billed as the inventor of the steamboat he was not. He developed the first commercially successful steamboat. So much for History...

            Don't be afraid to contribute or ask questions. Frank's resonse pretty much sums us up. As the saying goes; "The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked"!

            Welcome to our group. We are all stakeholders.

            Pete