Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Today's Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
      From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

      > Hi all,
      >
      > The specialty of the day was cooked up by combining the flip side of
      > our official research vessel with the sketch of something similar to a
      > printing plate that might be used to attach a layer of polymer clay to
      > appropriate parts of purchased or downloaded kits for paper boats. We
      > have two members who design and market paper boat kits, at least two
      > members who know how to assemble them and a new member, Andrea Renee,
      > a.k.a. the "cre8tive_babe," who joined the group yesterday. Andrea
      > works with polymer and air drying clays and several kinds of paper and
      > is also a member of the Google discussion "group Papermodels II."
      > Look in the links section for "Andrea's Tiny Crafts web site."
      >
      > ttfn, Frank

      Frank, I'm at a loss to understand what the polymer clay is for.
      Is it just a way of turning a paper boat into a PVC one?
      Why a material whose whole claim to fame is that it heat-softens ?

      Please enlighten.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...>
        wrote:

> [...]

        Hi David,

        I am still trying enlighten myself by joining groups with members who
        work with different types of polymer clay that harden when they are
        heated, and other clays that harden by air drying. My intent is to
        find some kind of one-shot material that can turn paper boats into
        pop-pop boats made partly of paper, which will still be there, and
        partly of some fairly inexpensive material that can make the paper
        waterproof, and a lot stronger. We have a new member who works with a
        variety of clays and papers. maybe she will chime in with an answer to
        your question when she sees it.

        ttfn, Frank
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
          From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

          > different types of polymer clay that harden when they are
          > heated, and other clays that harden by air drying. My intent is to
          > find some kind of one-shot material that can turn paper boats into
          > pop-pop boats made partly of paper, which will still be there, and
          > partly of some fairly inexpensive material that can make the paper
          > waterproof, and a lot stronger. We have a new member who works with a
          > variety of clays and papers. maybe she will chime in with an answer to
          > your question when she sees it.

          These clays are PVC and paper based respectively.

          Polymer clays re-soften with heat, and air-hardening clays shrink, but
          either can make you a little boat shell.

          Of course you'll still have to waterproof the paper on the outside.

          Good luck

          David
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
            wrote:

> [...]
            Thanks David,

            The Trondak company makes a product called Map Seal for making paper
            maps waterproof and more resistant to repeated folding and unfolding.
            Go to <http://www.aquaseal.com/contact.html> for information. I don't
            know if there is a distributor in the UK, but you could probably find
            out by contacting Dan, the super customer service guy who sent me some
            treated and untreated pieces of map paper for testing. I did test them
            and discovered the stuff really works.

            Best wishes, Frank
          • Andrea AKA Angel
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
              Frank thank you for that, I feel special now LOL I am glad to be here
              and have been looking online for all sorts of ideas.

              I do know how to make clay float. You may find on my web site a link
              to a special Polymer clay artists from Singapore named Garie Sim. I
              have featured him on my website http://tinycrafts.com/gariesim.html.
              He has tested polymer clay in many different ways and it it very
              useful information and instructions he provides.

              Thanks again for having me.

              Folded Paper Hugs
              Andrea