Re: Big pop-pop engine

    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hi Dan and Jean-Yves,

      Dan's comments about the effect of changes of thrust pipe length on
      performance reminded me of a thread about a hotter fire a while back.
      that didn't run with a real hot fire and his observation to the effect
      that cooling is just as important as heating. The logical conclusion
      seemed to be that the best route for thrust pipes is the shortest one
      for getting them into water outside the hull. In most cases, that
      route would be straight down with bends in directions opposite to the
      way the boat should go. old Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "danoyes1" <danoyes1@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all
      > wow supper cool German pop pop, that looks like a lot of thrust!
      > Jean
      > Are your calculations affected by the length of the thrust pipe and
      > momentum of water in it. while I was building the Barrel Boiler
      > engine I first had the thrust pipe at 5 ft. long and the engine
      > seemed to cycle a little more slowely...I think, when I cut the pipe
      > down to three ft. it seemed that the cycle increased slightly while
      > the volume of water expelled with each cycle decreased slightly... i
      > could run a test with the 3ft pipe then attach another five ft.
      > section of pipe and see if there is a change in rate.
      > Also do your calculations say anything about the amount of cooling
      > energy at the water end of the pipe. I have noticed that the engine
      > pulses more vigorously when the water in my test tank is cool, after
      > an extended run time the water in the tank will warm and begin to
      > steam and it seems that the engine looses power at this point.
      > thanks for the science!
      > Dan
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"
      > <boite.de.j-y@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Dan,
      > >
      > > With the data of your engine I calculated the heating power. Very
      > > approximately it is 170W.
      > > Then I calculated the theoretical frequency which is 1Hz. As it is
      > > (exactly) the value you indicated I'm very happy to get a
      > confirmation
      > > of "my" theory.
      > >
      > > I don't know if we can attach a document and if yes I don't know
      > how to
      > > do this. If you wish to get the calculation file, just let me know.
      > >
      > > Best wishes.
      > > Jean-Yves

    • Jean-Yves R
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 21, 2007
        Hi dan,
        I'm presently travelling far from my pop-pop engines. The pipe of the big engine is approx 75cm long. It is going up for the first 10cm and then it is straight and slightluy inclined down. More details in a couple of weeks when I am back to my "laboratory".
        Jean-Yves