Re: Big pop-pop engine

  • danoyes1
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hi all
      wow supper cool German pop pop, that looks like a lot of thrust!
      Jean
      Are your calculations affected by the length of the thrust pipe and
      momentum of water in it. while I was building the Barrel Boiler
      engine I first had the thrust pipe at 5 ft. long and the engine
      seemed to cycle a little more slowely...I think, when I cut the pipe
      down to three ft. it seemed that the cycle increased slightly while
      the volume of water expelled with each cycle decreased slightly... i
      could run a test with the 3ft pipe then attach another five ft.
      section of pipe and see if there is a change in rate.
      Also do your calculations say anything about the amount of cooling
      energy at the water end of the pipe. I have noticed that the engine
      pulses more vigorously when the water in my test tank is cool, after
      an extended run time the water in the tank will warm and begin to
      steam and it seems that the engine looses power at this point.
      thanks for the science!
      Dan

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Yves Renaud"
      <boite.de.j-y@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dan,
      >
      > With the data of your engine I calculated the heating power. Very
      > approximately it is 170W.
      > Then I calculated the theoretical frequency which is 1Hz. As it is
      > (exactly) the value you indicated I'm very happy to get a
      confirmation
      > of "my" theory.
      >
      > I don't know if we can attach a document and if yes I don't know
      how to
      > do this. If you wish to get the calculation file, just let me know.
      >
      > Best wishes.
      > Jean-Yves

    • Jean-Yves R
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 21, 2007
        Hi dan,
        I'm presently travelling far from my pop-pop engines. The pipe of the big engine is approx 75cm long. It is going up for the first 10cm and then it is straight and slightluy inclined down. More details in a couple of weeks when I am back to my "laboratory".
        Jean-Yves