Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Paper Boats

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007
      From: "Pete B." <georgeyyy@...>

      Weight vs pop-pop thrust?

      A traditional approach to bigger boats is to use more than one pop motor.
      Fine for classic ocean liners with their many uptakes.

      A more recent approach has been the use of bigger tubes and butane firing.
      I recall articles in Model Engineer but can't put my hand on them.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007

        Hi David,

        Thanks for your comments.

        I read an article a while back that implied that tubing size didn't make a significant difference. I was suspect. My gut feeling was that a larger tube would provide more thrust for a heavier boat realizing that there is probably a point of diminishing return. Then I came across the Website   www.eclectricspace.net (click on address). They have a lot of research data on pop-pop design. I haven't read in detail but they say that tube size and configuration does have an effect on performance.

        When I reach that point on my North River pop-pop I will definitely revisit and perhaps consult with Loïc and Jean-Yves. If you're into the dynamics data of the pop-pop engines give them a visit.

        Pete