Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Heat Shield

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
      From: "Richard Jenkins" <rjenkins@...>
      To: <pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com>

      > Not
      > having a good idea of how to build a shroud that would
      > stand up to the heat was the main reason I stopped
      > work on "Popfly", the pop-pop near-sister to Firefly.
      > She just woulnd't have looked right without something
      > resembling a steam launch boiler as part of her
      > profile.

      I can't get to my Boat Box at the moment but I have three suggestions.

      One is this commercial coil-type motor,
      http://tinyurl.com/e6s9y
      whose boiler shroud, perforated for combustion and "is it still alight?"
      checking, is a tight fit on flanged top and bottom plates. It comes apart
      to fit a Tea-light candle. The pipe ends drop vertically through the base
      and turn at 90. So the hull needs quite a big hole in it, which the motor
      is sealed into with silicone etc.

      The next is the top from a spun aluminium "gurly smell" aerosol. Cutting
      into pressurised cans is somewhat frowned apon by Insurers etc but you can
      get manual aerosols of this shape, with a nice domed top and a short
      parallel upstand you can fit and Uptake to:
      http://tinyurl.com/yunsbb

      Finally, use a rolled or roll-jointed baby-food tin, upside down. The only
      joint needed is for the Uptake, and a press-fit of some kind would make
      sense.
      http://tinyurl.com/2pwldb
      You can see how small the tin is by the size of the ring-pull on it!

      The last two need ventilation gaps either in the shroud itself or (easier)
      in the bilges.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007

        Richard-

        I like David's recycle approach. That is definitely worth pursuing. The boat scale becomes an issue. Another option might be a higher temp solder or epoxy adjacent to the heat source.

        I uploaded a link a little bit ago. If you look in Pop-pop Plans for BATH TUB STEAMBOAT you'll find a design for a heat shield on a wooden pop-pop. It may be something you could use in your design.

        Pete