Re: Heat Shield

  • Richard Jenkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
      I'd be curious to know how Buzz put his boiler-like
      shroud together, and how well it holds up in service.
      I had something similar (minus the wood lagging) on
      Popflea once, briefly, but the waste heat from the
      flame licking around the tube coil caused the solder
      joints to melt after a few minutes, and the whole
      thing collapsed and nearly set the boat on fire. With
      a normal steam boiler you have the water inside to
      absorb the heat away from the metal, so the solder
      joints won't melt unless the boiler runs dry. A
      pop-pop shroud, at least the one I had on Popflea
      anyway, is like a boiler that's always dry. Not
      having a good idea of how to build a shroud that would
      stand up to the heat was the main reason I stopped
      work on "Popfly", the pop-pop near-sister to Firefly.
      She just woulnd't have looked right without something
      resembling a steam launch boiler as part of her
      profile.

      Richard Jenkins
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
        From: "Richard Jenkins" <rjenkins@...>
        To: <pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com>

        > Not
        > having a good idea of how to build a shroud that would
        > stand up to the heat was the main reason I stopped
        > work on "Popfly", the pop-pop near-sister to Firefly.
        > She just woulnd't have looked right without something
        > resembling a steam launch boiler as part of her
        > profile.

        I can't get to my Boat Box at the moment but I have three suggestions.

        One is this commercial coil-type motor,
        http://tinyurl.com/e6s9y
        whose boiler shroud, perforated for combustion and "is it still alight?"
        checking, is a tight fit on flanged top and bottom plates. It comes apart
        to fit a Tea-light candle. The pipe ends drop vertically through the base
        and turn at 90. So the hull needs quite a big hole in it, which the motor
        is sealed into with silicone etc.

        The next is the top from a spun aluminium "gurly smell" aerosol. Cutting
        into pressurised cans is somewhat frowned apon by Insurers etc but you can
        get manual aerosols of this shape, with a nice domed top and a short
        parallel upstand you can fit and Uptake to:
        http://tinyurl.com/yunsbb

        Finally, use a rolled or roll-jointed baby-food tin, upside down. The only
        joint needed is for the Uptake, and a press-fit of some kind would make
        sense.
        http://tinyurl.com/2pwldb
        You can see how small the tin is by the size of the ring-pull on it!

        The last two need ventilation gaps either in the shroud itself or (easier)
        in the bilges.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007

          Richard-

          I like David's recycle approach. That is definitely worth pursuing. The boat scale becomes an issue. Another option might be a higher temp solder or epoxy adjacent to the heat source.

          I uploaded a link a little bit ago. If you look in Pop-pop Plans for BATH TUB STEAMBOAT you'll find a design for a heat shield on a wooden pop-pop. It may be something you could use in your design.

          Pete