Re: Heat Shield

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2007

      Hi Frank & all,

      The little wooden boat at Buzzboats is quite attractive. The boiler replicates those found on many steam launches. The boat my wife and I rode in this summer, as did all the others, had wooden slats banded around the boiler. I think (don't know for sure) on the real boats the slats prevented an unsuspecting bare body part from brushing against the glowing metal surface of the boiler. I could be wrong. I'll have to cind out from one of my friends.

      The boilers were wood, coal and oil fired. The oil was the easiest to work with. The other two requied a second mate to stoke the fire. Our friend with the coal boat looked like he just came out of the mine at the end of the day. The one with wood used scraps from his workshop. I met a fellow who was using wood pellets. Aside from the cost he liked its convenience. It stored well, easy to scoop into the fire box and left a minimum of ash.

      > Hi Barry,
      >
      > There was a round of discussion in early January about hotter fuels
      > and the importance of cooling that led to suggestions for shrouded
      > engines with propulsion tubes exiting through the bottoms of hulls,
      > rather than their sterns. To see a wooden hull with a shrouded engine
      > of this kind, go to <http://www.buzzboats.com/customboats.htm>.
      > Buzz reported that he used strips of wood to insulate a shroud made
      > from a tin can and a metal tube.
      >
      > old Frank
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, " Barry McClelland"
      > barry@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > > They say timing is everything, well,,,, I was given a roll of
      > aluminum for free today. It is about .010 thick and about 100 pounds.
      > I am really hoping this can be used for heat shields if so I have a
      > very large supply! I better get that hull done!!!
      > > Thanks Barry

    • Richard Jenkins
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
        I'd be curious to know how Buzz put his boiler-like
        shroud together, and how well it holds up in service.
        I had something similar (minus the wood lagging) on
        Popflea once, briefly, but the waste heat from the
        flame licking around the tube coil caused the solder
        joints to melt after a few minutes, and the whole
        thing collapsed and nearly set the boat on fire. With
        a normal steam boiler you have the water inside to
        absorb the heat away from the metal, so the solder
        joints won't melt unless the boiler runs dry. A
        pop-pop shroud, at least the one I had on Popflea
        anyway, is like a boiler that's always dry. Not
        having a good idea of how to build a shroud that would
        stand up to the heat was the main reason I stopped
        work on "Popfly", the pop-pop near-sister to Firefly.
        She just woulnd't have looked right without something
        resembling a steam launch boiler as part of her
        profile.

        Richard Jenkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
          From: "Richard Jenkins" <rjenkins@...>
          To: <pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com>

          > Not
          > having a good idea of how to build a shroud that would
          > stand up to the heat was the main reason I stopped
          > work on "Popfly", the pop-pop near-sister to Firefly.
          > She just woulnd't have looked right without something
          > resembling a steam launch boiler as part of her
          > profile.

          I can't get to my Boat Box at the moment but I have three suggestions.

          One is this commercial coil-type motor,
          http://tinyurl.com/e6s9y
          whose boiler shroud, perforated for combustion and "is it still alight?"
          checking, is a tight fit on flanged top and bottom plates. It comes apart
          to fit a Tea-light candle. The pipe ends drop vertically through the base
          and turn at 90. So the hull needs quite a big hole in it, which the motor
          is sealed into with silicone etc.

          The next is the top from a spun aluminium "gurly smell" aerosol. Cutting
          into pressurised cans is somewhat frowned apon by Insurers etc but you can
          get manual aerosols of this shape, with a nice domed top and a short
          parallel upstand you can fit and Uptake to:
          http://tinyurl.com/yunsbb

          Finally, use a rolled or roll-jointed baby-food tin, upside down. The only
          joint needed is for the Uptake, and a press-fit of some kind would make
          sense.
          http://tinyurl.com/2pwldb
          You can see how small the tin is by the size of the ring-pull on it!

          The last two need ventilation gaps either in the shroud itself or (easier)
          in the bilges.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007

            Richard-

            I like David's recycle approach. That is definitely worth pursuing. The boat scale becomes an issue. Another option might be a higher temp solder or epoxy adjacent to the heat source.

            I uploaded a link a little bit ago. If you look in Pop-pop Plans for BATH TUB STEAMBOAT you'll find a design for a heat shield on a wooden pop-pop. It may be something you could use in your design.

            Pete