Links, and rinkydinks

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2006
      pop-pop-steamboats on Chuck Leinweber's DUCKWORKS
      magazine, I got this reply today;

      "Hi, Frank:

      I have posted a link in our "Links" section. I am also
      going to publish your letter in our "Letters" section
      with a link to the forum. Thanks for letting us know
      about it.

      Chuck"

      NOTE: There's a link to the DUCKWORKS magazine in our
      links section.

      There's also a link titled "Miss England" doubled tube
      boiler coil" to a photo of a doubled over tubing coil
      similar to a coil Richard Jenkins described Friday,
      except that this one appears to have been made of
      round tubing flattened slightly by wrapping it to form
      a coil.
      I wasn't able to find any "Model Boats" magazine
      articles, but suspect the author might have been Basil
      Harvey, based on this clipping from the Pop-pop Pages:
      "Basil Harley seems to have rediscovered the 1891
      invention of the pop-pop boat about 1982, after having
      written several articles on pop-pops for Model Boats
      magazine during the 1970s.  In a 1975 article, Harley
      mentions a similar boat seen in a French journal from
      1880.  The pop-pop boat as we know it originated in an
      1891 British patent for water pulse engines by an
      inventor named Thomas Piot. The patented engine was of
      the coil type.The popularity of the boats spread
      quickly, however, and they were soon being
      manufactured in many countries. In Toyshop Steam,
      Harley mentions a series of boats made in the first
      decade of the 20th century by the German toymakers
      Ernst Planck. In 1916 a US patent was granted to
      Charles McHugh for the diaphragm type engine. The
      McHugh patent was specified for use in toys, while the
      Piot patent was apparently left more general. The
      addition of the diaphragm seems to have produced a toy
      with great appeal, as evidenced by the large number of
      advertisements found in magazines such as Popular
      Science and Boy's Life (see illustration). The German
      name for the boat, toc-toc, originated as a product
      brand name for a diaphragm-boilered boat in the late
      1920's, while they have also been called put-put,
      phut-phut, and pouet-pouet boats elsewhere. "
      The only additional news is that my daughter returned
      from her trip to Chicago,that my wife and I are back
      in our apartment and where I have been able to replace
      an older jpg with a new one titled "layout for R-C
      boat.jpg." You can find this one in the files section.

      Best wishes, old Frank

      http://mail.yahoo.com