Re: Plans for a hull?

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007

      Good morning Barry,

      Sounds good. I don't know what I can do from afar but if you need help please let me know. I could draw up patterns etc., to any scale you want. Thanks for getting us into the "make" mode. Please keep us posted!

      We have all come up with some good ideas but have been unable to produce so far. I'm working on a "Tin" CLERMONT as time allows. I'm hoping that it can be both a working pop-pop and a display model. I'm looking at polished copper and brass as the primary materials. I want to keep the design as close to what I think the original boat looked like. I'm going to take exception to the 10:1 length to beam ratio however. Perhaps a 6:1 or 16" long by 2-5/8" wide. Check out the picture of the Tucher & Walters Tin Clermont in the Photos/Home Pix. I found one West of Chicago. The seller wants $550.00 plus S&H. That's a bit out of my price range even though it is a nice looking boat. More later.

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, " Barry McClelland" <barry@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > I was going through some photocopies the other day and found some templates for a water line row boat. I have been thinking about this since then and when I get some time I will assemble one. I am pretty sure I can modify the design to get rid of the flat bottom. It looks like a fairly easy build. If it works out I will make a mold a cast the hulls.
      > Thanks Barry

    • Barry McClelland
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007
        Hi Pete,
          The pattern is for a plywood row boat I am hoping it will be an easy start. I will be making it out of styrene, I can start with some thin pieces and laminate more on to make the hull thicker. I have been called a wizard with styrene, I work with it a lot.
           As for patterns let me see how this one goes first. The pattern I have I had enlarged then I scanned and enlarged it a little more. I want to start out with about an 8 inch long boat. This will be easy to work with and making a mold won't break the bank.
           I will keep everyone here up on what I am doing.
                Thanks Barry

        Sounds good. I don't know what I can do from afar but if you need help please let me know. I could draw up patterns etc., to any scale you want. Thanks for getting us into the "make" mode. Please keep us posted!

        We have all come up with some good ideas but have been unable to produce so far. I'm working on a "Tin" CLERMONT as time allows. I'm hoping that it can be both a working pop-pop and a display model. I'm looking at polished copper and brass as the primary materials. I want to keep the design as close to what I think the original boat looked like. I'm going to take exception to the 10:1 length to beam ratio however. Perhaps a 6:1 or 16" long by 2-5/8" wide. Check out the picture of the Tucher & Walters Tin Clermont in the Photos/Home Pix. I found one West of Chicago. The seller wants $550.00 plus S&H. That's a bit out of my price range even though it is a nice looking boat. More later.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@ yahoogroups. com, " Barry McClelland" <barry@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I was going through some photocopies the other day and found some templates for a water line row boat. I have been thinking about this since then and when I get some time I will assemble one. I am pretty sure I can modify the design to get rid of the flat bottom. It looks like a fairly easy build. If it works out I will make a mold a cast the hulls.
        > Thanks Barry

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007

          Barry,

          Can't wait to see the results. Are you intending to use the hull for a pop-pop? If it meets your expectations will it find its way into your catalog?

          I've added a paper prototype of my CLERMONT hull to Photos/North river project folder. My plan is sheet copper for the two mirror image halves. The halves will be soldered at the keel flange with a brass "U" channel to finish the seam off. Boiler tube and boiler probably copper from some of the ideas supplied by our group. The rest of the details still floating around. More later...