OUR POP-POP-STEAMBOATS POSTER CHILD

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007

      There won't be any messages about today's home picture until members start building pop-pop boats and posting pictures of them. Until then, pictures of Richard's Popflea will be used as our poster child.

      ttfn, old Frank

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007

        I've added two links for inspiration in accepting Frank's challenge. The "Antique Toys" is an incredible collection.

        http://www.vermorel.com/pop-pop/ (Joannes Vermorel pop-pop)

        http://www.oldtoyz1.com/  (Antique Toys)

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007

          Okay, I've been holding out (just found!). I placed two images of a pop-pop CLERMONT in the "HOME PIX" folder. It's made in Germany and can be had for $295.00 plus S&H. I'm taking up a collection.....

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007

            Frank,

            I uploaded a link from France known as ECLECTICSPACE (http://www.eclecticspace.net/index2.php?rub=poppop). They have a section on a glass tube pop-pop with great explanations and images Make sure to click the ENGLISH version or you might be lost for a while like I was.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2007
              Hi Pete,

              It doesn't look much like the Clermont. Where are the paddle wheels?
              Go to <http://tinyurl.com/ytuall> and click on Trr4 YACHT COIP-BOILER
              FIREBOX. There are a lot of fake Tucher and Walther toys for sale on
              the Internet. Which ones are real and which ones are Memorex?

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2007

                Hi Frank-

                Poetic license! It's a stretch, but you can see an attempt to somewhat follow the CLERMONT (sans wheels) lines. The othe less obvious is the shape of the hull. The CLERMONT was actually flat bottom like all of the water line boats. The boat that you reference is the same design as the Tucher + Walther "CLERMONT". Is it a knock-off or the real thing??? It demands a similar price. One never knows.

                THANKS<

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
                  Hi Pete,

                  Tucher & Walther apparently did build a model of the Clermont but the
                  one you found isn't it. Go to http://tinyurl.com/yvla9w and scroll
                  down to item # 767 for a thumbnail picture that does look like the
                  Clermont, paddle wheels and all.

                  old Frank

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007

                    Frank,

                    I don't know how you find these things. You have a knack...

                    This pix is definitely more Clermont looking than the others. It has the two masts, the wheels and the hull & bow rake. I'm trying to get a larger copy of the photo. Thanks!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
                      Hi Pete,

                      This is how THAT particular "knack" worked. I wanted to find your
                      source for what might be Tucher & Walther boat with a "Clermont"
                      label, so I Googled with the phrase "tucher walther clermont" and got
                      that list of sales items as the second hit on a list that I didn't
                      bother to check out after using a search feature to find the word
                      "clermont." I still don't know where you found the photo of the boat
                      with a Clermont label. :-)

                      Frank

                      > Frank,
                      >
                      > I don't know how you find these things. You have a knack...
                      >
                      > This pix is definitely more Clermont looking than the others. It has the
                      > two masts, the wheels and the hull & bow rake. I'm trying to get a
                      > larger copy of the photo. Thanks!

                      > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:

                      SNIP--SNIPPETY--SNIP
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007

                        Frank-

                        The two Pix that I have were from google hits as well. The difference must be in using a MAC vs a PC. Just kidding! I never got the hit that you did. The Internet is a great tool but sometimes a mystery.

                        As for my two photos... The one from over head was on a private Website of a fellow in Illinois. It's part of his collection. The other is from a retailer in Argentina. The fellow in Illinois has replied. He'll sell for $550 plus S&H. He'll send more photos after he gets back from Vacation. That boat looks like it has sustained some damage. I haven't heard from Argentina. It may be an English/Spanish issue.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007

                          Almost forgot. Here are the two sites.

                          I still didn't get your Auction site in Maine.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
                            That's exceedingly strange Pete. I get the same result every time.
                            The second hit is always "Fall '02 ATD Catalog w/ prices" Clicking on
                            that title shows a list with pictures of dolls and a search to find
                            the word "clermont" does the rest.

                            Frank

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
                              Hi Pete,

                              I just used "tucher walther clermont" for a search using Dogpile.
                              This time the listing for the 20O2 sale was in sixth place instead of
                              second, as it was when I used Google. That might be because Dogpile
                              uses several search engines, including Google. I might ask Mamma next!