Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Does anybody want to start discussing something?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hi Richard,

      Thank you for the information about square-tube,
      coiled boilers and Kitchen rudders. I know quite a bit
      more about methods for improving the performance of
      pop-pop engines than I did ten-minutes ago.
      One of the best, and currently rarest non popping
      pop-pop boats has a similar folded over coiled tube
      similar to what you described. Seems a better way to
      go about it than a coil of the type shown in most
      photos of engines of this kind. One of the items in
      files titled "Vertical self-contained pop-pop engine"
      shows a less than explanatory view of a vertical
      engine sold by Hobbies of Dereham for an outrageously
      inflated price. There's a similar vertical engine in a
      wooden boat shown in a photo on the website for
      "Buzz's Boatyard." I have assumed that both of these
      vertical engines use diaphragm boilers, since vertical
      coil engines might look more like stacks without
      attached "fat" boiler sections. One advantage of thin
      vertical boilers might be that they could be installed
      in cylindrical versions of the "bait" or "centerboard"
      box and rotated for steering, the way outboard motors
      are used. I probably have more time to waste searching
      for stuff on the WWW and will try to find out more
      information of the kind you have provided. I'm
      something in between a contributor and a skulker on
      the paddleducks group, formerly a Yahoo group, but now
      on their own website. Check it out if you haven't
      already- very informative and lots of wonderful
      photos.
      Thanks for a lot of information about things I didn't
      know about until quite recently!
      old Frank

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • grumpy grady
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2006
        i have
        there was a web page that had step by step on how to biuld one
        if i can find it i will post it   if not i will do it step by step for you

        On 7/7/06, Frank McNeill <frankmcneilll@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > We have just one rule, so there aren't any other rules
        > or off-topic subjects for discussion. We have members
        > with different interests because invitations to join
        > were sent to several groups that do have special
        > topics like the design and construction of R/C models;
        > construction and operation of steam powered launches;
        > naval war games that use small waterline models as
        > markers; maritime history; wood working; casting
        > metals, plastics and Portland cement mortar; growing
        > bamboo and making bamboo products, flyrods for
        > example, and perhaps eventually hulls, decks and the
        > like made of bamboo.
        > Suggestions, anyone, for a discussion topic- it might
        > even be related to development of pop-pop boats that
        > resemble real steam powered boats or ships and could
        > be equipped for radio or infrared control. I have a
        > question, or topic, for members who design or build
        > remotely controllable models, ships, cars, planes or
        > whatever- are there any systems that could be used to
        > actuate small valves? There are sources for miniature
        > solenoid actuated valves that could be powered by four
        > 2A size batteries. but I haven't been able to find out
        > if there are radio or infrared receivers that can
        > control valves without using servos of the kind used
        > in remotely controllable models and toys.

        > Do You Yahoo!?
        > http://mail. yahoo.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Do you Yahoo!?