Today's home page picture

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007

      Today's newest of numerous new home page pictures shows a clip from an article by Len Stevens from the April 1996 issue of Model Boats magazine that Richard Jenkins posted to files. This was the article that inspired his construction of our poster child "Popflea" which can be seen in our photos section and his observation about the superior performance of boilers made of square brass tubing over round tube and diaphragm type boilers.
      Our principal source of "inspiration" for designing pop-pop boats that look like real steamboats will probably be card stock models that will require boilers with shrouds and smokestacks and tubes that extend down through the bottoms of hulls rather than back through their sterns. There was a discussion thread in January about a hotter burning fuel in which Vance Bass wrote that:
      "My experience indicates that you don't necessarily want a hotter fuel. The problem is that a really hot fire makes it harder to get the cold zone necessary for the condensation part of the pulse cycle. I built a boat with a very hot alcohol burner and the thing would not run after a short period. When I changed the burner to something less aggressive, it ran fine. So I think that if you are going to have a really hot burner, you must also take pains to have a really effective cool zone. This could be a sump pump evaporator (or) running the tubes into the water and along the underside of the boat rather than out the rear transom. regards, -vance-"
      If you look at the current home page picture, you will understand how this could be done by rotating either of the versions so the propulsion tubes would go down, rather than back, and have a 90-degree bend to expel water horizontally under the hull.
      This would also rotate the horseshoe loop to a position over a candle or burner inside a shroud that would direct waste heat up through a smokestack that any respectable steamboat model would possess.

      ttfn, old Frank
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007

        Hi Frank,

        On break & Checked out the messages...

        I have two questions based your home pixs:

        • Where did the "bread & Butter" boat kit picture originate?
        • Do you know if there ar tube boilers commecially available? I've seen the diaphgm type but not the tube type.

        I also like the K. G. Wells (Model Engineer 14 AUG 63) "jet boat" that you uploaded to our FILES section. I'm going to look at redrawing the pattern in CAD and then post in FILES. More later....

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
          Hi Pete,

          Go to http://tinyurl.com/25yv72 and scroll down for an image for a kit for a lifeboat to see the bread and butter thing.

          > * Do you know if there ar tube boilers commecially available? I've
          > seen the diaphgm type but not the tube type.

          I don't know if there are any tube boilers or not. Most people probably  buy  tubing and wrap it around a broom stick or something to make their own.