Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Digest Number 8

  • Lance Romance
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7 10:34 AM
      How large can a "pop-pop engine" be and still work? Or is there even a size limit to how it
      big it CAN be to work?
      I personally have never seen one operate. It was always the rich kids who had them when I was growing up, and they never seemed to have time to make it work.
      On 7/7/06, Mike & Carmen <mikenmenchie@...> wrote:

      Frank McNeill wrote:
      > Mike Dugan, also known as thedugan, is our newest member.
      > Best wishes to Mike and all, old Frank

      Thanks!

      This looks more like an 'interesting or weird technology' group than
      just pop-pop boats, so I joined.... I heard about this through one of
      my other Yahoo groups.

      I'm too busy - usually - with family and such to DO anything, but I
      like reading about things like this. I used to build radios and putter
      about with them as a teenager - back then tube sets were the norm,
      transistors were just getting widespread use. How to use them was
      almost impossible to find out about, so I lost interest in it after
      my parents got divorced.

      I remember seeing something like the pop-pop in a Boy Scout manual
      somewhere - LONG ago....

      I'm also a member on some forum of people that build 'Farnsworth
      Fusors', THAT is certainly a lot of work to build from scratch - but
      darned interesting to read about.

      I like to watch "American Chopper", or anything else that goes through
      the creative process in a similiar way.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8 1:32 AM
        Hi Lance,

        The largest tin pop-pop boat currently being manufactured by
        Rattandeep Enterprise Company is the 15-inch long "Titanic"
        which can be seen and heard in a film clip on Buzz's Boatyard.
        Go to the links section for this one. A similar question about
        size limitations is answered in message #13 which mentions the
        experimental work by the late Peter R. Payne with boats large
        enough to ride in and engines that were different from, and a
        lot more sophisticated than the simple little pop-pop engines
        that are manufactured by Rattandeep and other companies now.

        best wishes, Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Romance"
        <willieb1@...> wrote:

        > How large can a "pop-pop engine" be and still work? Or is there
        even a size
        > limit to how it
        > big it CAN be to work?
        > I personally have never seen one operate. It was always the rich
        kids who
        > had them when I was growing up, and they never seemed to have time
        to make
        > it work.
        > On 7/7/06, Mike & Carmen <mikenmenchie@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Frank McNeill wrote:
        > > > Mike Dugan, also known as thedugan, is our newest member.
        > > > Best wishes to Mike and all, old Frank

        snip- snip- snip-