The "New" Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2007
      The home page picture was actually borrowed from Ed Fillion's deerfieldriver discussion group.
      I borrowed his picture, so I am also providing his description of the group:

      "Deerfield River is a forum for the sharing of information about Deerfield River Laser models. You will find pictures of all of Deerfield River Laser's kits and updates on new stuff and pictures of works in process.

      All feedback is welcome, good or bad and we are always looking for new kit ideas. Kits we are working on include a larger one stall enginehouse (6 X 18 inch) with shop (6 X 6 inch), a 48 foot tug, a 48 foot trawler, an 85 foot coastal freighter based on a VIC 57, a 70 foot paddle boat (Mad River), a EBT caboose and a Towle Brothers caboose.

      The first kit is in the Photos Section now, Uncle Bill's Camp. It is a fishing cabin based on one on Damon Pond in Chesterfield MA and comes with a two hole outhouse, our Aunt Nellie's outhouse."

      Ed Fillion, Moderator/Listowner"

      Please notice everybody that Ed welcomes feedback and is looking for new kit ideas. Ed's boats are of the waterline type, but they could be produced as working versions too- - HINT- HINT- HINT- -

      Best wishes to all and thanks, Ed for letting me borrow your picture,

      old Frank
    • edfillion448@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2007
        Hi Frank and Group,

        For those that might not want to "join" a group to see what's available, I have a web site for Deerfield River Laser,

        http://www.deerfieldriverlaser.com

        We presently have three pilot houses available in O scale. Here is another thought. I make a 60 foot paddle boat in both HO and O scales for another manufacturer. Picture that as a pop-pop boat. The rear paddle would turn with the motion and appear to be powering the boat. Just have your outlet tube shoot towards the paddle. Have the exhaust from the flame go up the stack. That would give you the draft for the flame, and the visual of a working steam boat. I'll try to upload a picture of the paddleboat. The shroud suggested for some uses could be made to look like a boiler. With the paddle wheel turning the cranks would appear to function also.

        Thanks for looking,
        Ed Fillion, Deerfield River Laser, West Springfield, MA

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2007
          Hi Ed and Groupies,

          Thanks for the information. We have a link to your web site, and I
          have read about your paddle boat boat, but haven't seen pictures of it
          yet. Could you provide a photo, or a link to a web site, where we
          could go to see it?
          I don't use photos from other groups, or from most web sites, without
          obtaining permission. Google images is an exception because Google
          "borrows" photos without permission and I "borrow" them from Google.
          There is a Spanish language expression that translates into English as
          "A thief that steals from a thief merits one hundred years of pardon."
          The hundred year deduction applies in a half way house called
          Purgatory— not from ant Spanish, or Latin American, prisons that I
          know about.

          Best wishes, old Frank

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2007

            Hi Ed,

            My wife and I just drove through your neck of the woods. It was our grandson's 1st birthday so we drove over to Hebron, CT. We are approx half way between Albany (RT 90) and Newburgh (RT 84) just off the Hudson. I prefer the northern route. I take the Mass Pike to exit 4 and RT 91. We then take RT 91 South to Hartford and RT 2 East to Hebron.

            Your steamboat kits look pretty nice. I did go thru your website in detail as we just got in. You may have the answers to my questions but I'll ask anyway. What are the dimensions of your steamboats? What are the cost for each? Now the bigger question: how diffocult is it to set up a new offering? What would the developmwent costs be? What I'm getting at (one track mind) is the North River Steamboat. How difficult would it be to convert the Popular Mechanics boat (NR7 CLERMONT - POPULAR MECHANICS.PDF ) into a lasercut kit? With the 200th anniversary of the Fulton Steamboat from April thru December this year and the Hudson - Fulton - Champlain Quadricentennial in 2009 I see possibilites for selling kits up and down the Hudson Valley at museum gift shops and the like. Sound familiar Frank? It might also be an E-bay offering with its large audience. I'm sure you have even more selling options thru you established net work.

            Thinking out loud again....

            Pete

          • edfillion448@cs.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
              Hi Pete,

              You sure were in my area. I live very close to the Rt 90/91 interchange. I can see Rt 90 right now from my PC. I do On30 train shows in New Paltz, NY, every April and October so we look for different routes to make the trip interesting. We go out on Rt 90 and then the NY thruway, but come home more leisurely on back roads. We like Rts 23 and 44. If Rt 23 you could pick up Rt 90 in Lee, MA. If Rt 44, you can go all the way to Hartford, picking up Rt 84 to Rt 2 to Hebron.

              The paddle boats are 10 inches long in HO (1:87) scale and about 18 inches long in O (1:48) scale. You can buy the HO version from RDA (Railway Design Associates) and they have one on Ebay right now, listed under trains and hobbies/ RDA. They stopped selling the O scale one a year and a half back, but I have a few for $100 each that I got stuck with. They last listed at $150 by RDA.

              More later on the Clarmont,
              Ed Fillion

            • edfillion448@cs.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
                Hi again Pete,

                I could not open the Clarmont PDF. Working out a new kit can be hard to give you a cost with the info I now have. Most are actually no cost if we think there are sales that would cover the cost. Another words, I can put the developement and design cost into the kit. Now this would not be true if we were doing a museum quality kit. Then you get into details and castings that would be unique, custom work, often with minimuns of a hundred or more. On one kit I did, the custom grab irons for an O scale boxcar were about $450 for 100 sets. We figured to sell about 40 of the kits in the first year, and we are close to that number. That was a museum quality kit. Kits like the paddleboats are accurate, but lack the detail parts that the modeler can purchase and add to "dress" up the kit. If we go that route we would control the costs. Get me the plans and we'll see what it involves and maybe get a sample done up. For the sales you anticipate, it might make more sense to sell as a completed boat all biult up, rather than a kit. You would best decide that.

                I agree that ebay is also a good sales outlet. I'm not using it yet but will in the future. There is a Clarmont plastic kit available on ebay that might help us in the design work as much as plans could. I just don't know how acurate the kit is.

                Keep in touch, Ed Fillion, Deerfield River Laser