Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Does anybody want to start discussing something?

  • Craig Harder
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
      Has anyone on here actually made one, if so how did it work? What
      materials did you use, and any suggestions on procedures would help. I
      have a granddaughter I would like to make one for she's 8 going on 20
      but I think she would get a kick out of seeing this going around her
      pool.
      Craig

      On 7/7/06, Frank McNeill <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > We have just one rule, so there aren't any other rules
      > or off-topic subjects for discussion. We have members
      > with different interests because invitations to join
      > were sent to several groups that do have special
      > topics like the design and construction of R/C models;
      > construction and operation of steam powered launches;
      > naval war games that use small waterline models as
      > markers; maritime history; wood working; casting
      > metals, plastics and Portland cement mortar; growing
      > bamboo and making bamboo products, flyrods for
      > example, and perhaps eventually hulls, decks and the
      > like made of bamboo.
      > Suggestions, anyone, for a discussion topic- it might
      > even be related to development of pop-pop boats that
      > resemble real steam powered boats or ships and could
      > be equipped for radio or infrared control. I have a
      > question, or topic, for members who design or build
      > remotely controllable models, ships, cars, planes or
      > whatever- are there any systems that could be used to
      > actuate small valves? There are sources for miniature
      > solenoid actuated valves that could be powered by four
      > 2A size batteries. but I haven't been able to find out
      > if there are radio or infrared receivers that can
      > control valves without using servos of the kind used
      > in remotely controllable models and toys.

    • Richard Jenkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
        Hi everyone,
        Sorry for the delayed introduction here. I've been on
        the list for about a week now, but now I finally have
        a little bit of time to type out some of my adventures
        with pop-pop boats.

        There was a series of articles in the British magazine
        Model Boats about 10 years ago where the author was
        experimenting with pop-pops using a single coiled tube
        instead of the traditional pop-pop membrane-topped
        "boiler". He was using butane micro-torches to fire
        them. His experiments included varying numbers of
        coils, different diameters of tube, different
        placement of the torches, etc. to see what gave the
        best results. In one of the articles, he found that
        square-section tube worked better than normal round
        tube. He only needed a single loop of square tube to
        match the performance of one of his earlier boats that
        had several loops of round tube. Some good reading
        there, I just wish I could remember the author's name,
        or the dates those articles ran.

        Anyway, after reading about the square tube, and
        realizing I had some 1/8" square brass tube lying
        around, I decided to try it for myself. The loop is
        not even a complete 360-degree loop, basically it's a
        270-degree bend followed by a 90-degree bend in the
        other direction so that both ends of the tube end up
        parallel and pointing in the same direction. (Hint:
        annealing the tube makes bending the coil much
        easier.) Since it was just an experiment, I didn't
        feel like going through the trouble of building a
        proper hull for it, so I quickly formed a rough hull
        out of aluminum foil, poked the ends of the tube out
        through the stern, and dripped some candle wax around
        the hole in the hull to seal it up. I already had one
        of the little tinplate pop-pop boats that I had bought
        a few months earlier, so I borrowed the candle burner
        from that boat to provide the flame. I gave the
        experimental foil boat a test run in the bathtub. It
        was faster and much quieter than the tinplate boat
        (which has the traditional pop-pop boiler). Since the
        experiment was a success I removed the engine from the
        foil hull and built a new 6-inch wooden hull for it
        instead. A piece of sheet brass protects the inside
        bottom of the hull from the heat source.

        Around the same time, I also bought a very small
        single-cylinder oscillating steam engine and boiler
        kit. The boiler measures about 1" in diameter by 2"
        long, and although it's a working engine, the unit was
        really intended more for show than anything else. The
        engine was supposed to be mounted on top of the boiler
        and just sit there and spin and make everyone say "It
        actually runs on steam? Wow! It's so small!" Well,
        that's all very well and good, but I thought it would
        be a lot more fun to use it in a boat, so I built a
        base for it with the engine mounted vertically aft of
        the boiler. I designed a 12.5" steam launch hull for
        it, and then the idea hit me to build two identical
        hulls, one using the steam engine and the other as a
        pop-pop. I had already chosen the name "Firefly" for
        the steamer, so the pop-pop version naturally became
        "Popfly", although I never actually got her finished.
        Since my earlier experimental boat was going to be the
        testbed for ideas I was going to use on Popfly (and
        since she's only half the size), I named her
        "Popflea".

        One of the things that I wanted to do on Popfly was to
        build an enclosure for the fire, with a smokestack on
        top, designed to look like a vertical steam launch
        boiler. When I tried it on Popflea, the "boiler"
        quickly became too hot and melted the solder joints
        holding it together. That was really the main thing
        that caused me to put Popfly on hold. Higher
        temperature solder, or better yet mechanical
        fastenings seem like the way to go, just haven't got
        around to trying it out yet.

        I have also experimented with a few different flame
        sources on Popflea, including candles, little chunks
        of esbit, and small blobs of sterno. She will run
        happily on any of those, although esbit leaves sooty
        deposits on the tube coil that can build up and reduce
        the efficiency of the heat transfer (does burn hotter
        than sterno though). Then, one day a few years back
        when I was staying at my sister's place, her roommate
        told me something that she thought was just a useless
        bit of trivia: that brazil nuts contain so much oil
        that they will burn like a candle. A little lightbulb
        immediately went on over my head, I brought out
        Popflea, cracked a brazil nut and cut it in half, lit
        it up and put it in the boat. Sure enough, she
        steamed merrily around the kitchen sink on nut power!
        Didn't smell too good, but it worked! Actually my
        sister's roommate was so impressed that she wanted her
        own nut-fired boat, so I made her one with a copy of
        Popflea's square-tube engine, using a sardine can for
        the hull.

        I've been giving some thought to the idea of an R/C
        pop-pop since it came up on the list here. I wonder
        if a Kitchen rudder would work on a pop-pop boat. For
        those that don't know, a Kitchen rudder (named for its
        inventor Jack Kitchen) is a device that is designed to
        control the speed and direction of a boat with a
        single-speed, non-reversible engine. Basically it has
        two curved blades that encircle the propeller, sort of
        resembling a Kort nozzle when they're in the open
        position. In the closed position, the two blades come
        together to form a cone behind the propeller,
        deflecting the propwash forward around the propeller
        to reverse the boat. Speed can be controlled by
        closing the blades only part-way. The blades can also
        be turned together in either directon for steering.
        I'm thinking if the tubes of a pop-pop unit are close
        enough together where they exit the hull, perhaps a
        single Kitchen rudder surrounding the ends of both
        tubes might work. On the other hand, the dynamics
        might be a little bit different without the spinning
        propeller in there. Guess there's only one way to
        find out! Anyway, here's a little more info and some
        diagrams...
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_rudder

        Richard Jenkins

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
          Hi Richard,

          Thank you for the information about square-tube,
          coiled boilers and Kitchen rudders. I know quite a bit
          more about methods for improving the performance of
          pop-pop engines than I did ten-minutes ago.
          One of the best, and currently rarest non popping
          pop-pop boats has a similar folded over coiled tube
          similar to what you described. Seems a better way to
          go about it than a coil of the type shown in most
          photos of engines of this kind. One of the items in
          files titled "Vertical self-contained pop-pop engine"
          shows a less than explanatory view of a vertical
          engine sold by Hobbies of Dereham for an outrageously
          inflated price. There's a similar vertical engine in a
          wooden boat shown in a photo on the website for
          "Buzz's Boatyard." I have assumed that both of these
          vertical engines use diaphragm boilers, since vertical
          coil engines might look more like stacks without
          attached "fat" boiler sections. One advantage of thin
          vertical boilers might be that they could be installed
          in cylindrical versions of the "bait" or "centerboard"
          box and rotated for steering, the way outboard motors
          are used. I probably have more time to waste searching
          for stuff on the WWW and will try to find out more
          information of the kind you have provided. I'm
          something in between a contributor and a skulker on
          the paddleducks group, formerly a Yahoo group, but now
          on their own website. Check it out if you haven't
          already- very informative and lots of wonderful
          photos.
          Thanks for a lot of information about things I didn't
          know about until quite recently!
          old Frank

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • grumpy grady
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2006
            i have
            there was a web page that had step by step on how to biuld one
            if i can find it i will post it   if not i will do it step by step for you

            On 7/7/06, Frank McNeill <frankmcneilll@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > We have just one rule, so there aren't any other rules
            > or off-topic subjects for discussion. We have members
            > with different interests because invitations to join
            > were sent to several groups that do have special
            > topics like the design and construction of R/C models;
            > construction and operation of steam powered launches;
            > naval war games that use small waterline models as
            > markers; maritime history; wood working; casting
            > metals, plastics and Portland cement mortar; growing
            > bamboo and making bamboo products, flyrods for
            > example, and perhaps eventually hulls, decks and the
            > like made of bamboo.
            > Suggestions, anyone, for a discussion topic- it might
            > even be related to development of pop-pop boats that
            > resemble real steam powered boats or ships and could
            > be equipped for radio or infrared control. I have a
            > question, or topic, for members who design or build
            > remotely controllable models, ships, cars, planes or
            > whatever- are there any systems that could be used to
            > actuate small valves? There are sources for miniature
            > solenoid actuated valves that could be powered by four
            > 2A size batteries. but I haven't been able to find out
            > if there are radio or infrared receivers that can
            > control valves without using servos of the kind used
            > in remotely controllable models and toys.

            > Do You Yahoo!?
            > http://mail. yahoo.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Do you Yahoo!?