Building a Paper Mache Narrowboat

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2007

      Go to <http://www.shilbo.com/narrowboat.html> for information straight
      from the builder himself, about the construction of the R/C narrowboat
      that was shown in the "Today's Home Page Picture" yesterday, or should
      it be yesterday's "Today's Home Page Picture"?

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2007

        Paper Mache boats...who'd of thought? The details of the builder's process are interesting. The narrow boat is quite large. I think he said 5'. I can remember making paper mache pinatas in grade school. Do you remember the balloon, newspaper strips and homemade glue routine? It was messy but a lot of fun. Just think, all that work so you could destroy it with a stick.

        In regards to a pop-pop... I went to my friendly surplus store yesterday to see what he had for materials. He has aluminum sheets, stainless sheets lots of copper and some brass. Unfortunately he didn't have any tubing. The copper must be from a high end roofer. There were odds and ends of sheet stock. The thing that caught my eye was the formed pieces. There were half round gutters. conventional square gutters and ridge pieces. I almost bought a ridge section. It's about the right cross-section for a boat. the "peak was about 3.5" wide of an 1.75" radius (formed by half of a hexadecagon). It had wings on either side for shingle overlap. I think that I could easily work it in to a hull for a pop-pop (not the Clermont) and have a glitzy boat. The stern (transom) is the easy part. I have to figure out the bow and how to cut and form. The copper is great if I decide to use a rectangular tube engine and keel. The gears are turning!. I'll keep you posted.