Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Today's Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 13, 2007
      Hi David,

      "Papier Mache" is French for "Chewed up Paper." If you have ever tasted the horrible glue on paper tape you would realize that nobody would willingly chew the stuff. If was formerly used for closing corrugated cardboard boxes. The only problem is that it doesn't stick to corrugated cardboard very well. Much better to use Duct Tape which works fairly well on everything except ducts. Go to < http://tinyurl.com/yxyyzv> for more than you might want to know about chewed up paper and things that are related, or just good friends.

      ttfn (French for Abyssinia), old Frank

      On 1/13/07, David Halfpenny < dh1@...> wrote:

      Frank, A traditional papier mache method for making strong light uniform

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 7, 2007

        We have new members so today's home page picture was posted to show
        the square brass tube boiler that Richard Jenkins used to build our
        poster child, the "Popflea." There are two types of pop-pop engines.
        One type uses diaphragm boilers that make the popping noise and the
        other type uses tube boilers that don't pop. As far as I know, both
        types are called pop-pop engines. If anybody thinks of a better name
        for the don't pop type we might need to change the name of the group.
        For more information about the Popflea jump in the wayback machine for
        a trip to Message #55.

        ttfn, old Frank
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 7, 2007
          From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

          > One type uses diaphragm boilers that make the popping noise and the
          > other type uses tube boilers that don't pop. As far as I know, both
          > types are called pop-pop engines. If anybody thinks of a better name
          > for the don't pop type we might need to change the name of the group.

          I think the name of the group is fine because everyone who cares knows what
          we mean.
          It's also easier for more people to grasp than the traditional "Phut-Phut".

          The tube type engines still pulse, but silently.
          The equivalent air-engine has always been called a Pulse Jet.

          So if we change at all, the word "pulse" might well figure.

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 7, 2007
            Hi David,

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]

            Maybe we could call it the Repetitive Pulse Group or abbreviate it as the Re-Pulsive Group.

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 7, 2007
              From: "Frank McNeill" frankmcneilll@...

              > Maybe we could call it the Repetitive Pulse Group or abbreviate it as
              the Re-Pulsive Group.

              Careful now, we don't want the members Revolting. :-) D
            • Andrés Gonzalez
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 7, 2007
                Hi All:
                I was looking into http://del.icio.us and I found these links, maybe some are already known:

                Andrés

                Correo Yahoo!

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
                  The picture was provided a while back by Ekkehard Kröger, a member of
                  the Google group,"rec . models . rc . water" in response to my request
                  for information about kits and plans that might be used for pop-pop
                  boats. ttfn, Frank
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007

                    Hi Frank N All,

                    Today's Home Page picture reminded me of some patents for pop-pop boats that a came across several weeks ago. At lunch today I Googled "pop-pop steamboats" and came up with the following link.

                    http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/patents.html

                    This link is from Slater Harrison's Website. It is, however, not the same as the one I visited earlier. I uploaded to our "links". I also found the copper boat that I have been looking for. That too was uploaded to our photos "Home Pix".

                    ENJOY!

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Hi all,

                      The specialty of the day was cooked up by combining the flip side of
                      our official research vessel with the sketch of something similar to a
                      printing plate that might be used to attach a layer of polymer clay to
                      appropriate parts of purchased or downloaded kits for paper boats. We
                      have two members who design and market paper boat kits, at least two
                      members who know how to assemble them and a new member, Andrea Renee,
                      a.k.a. the "cre8tive_babe," who joined the group yesterday. Andrea
                      works with polymer and air drying clays and several kinds of paper and
                      is also a member of the Google discussion "group Papermodels II."
                      Look in the links section for "Andrea's Tiny Crafts web site."

                      ttfn, Frank
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
                        From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > The specialty of the day was cooked up by combining the flip side of
                        > our official research vessel with the sketch of something similar to a
                        > printing plate that might be used to attach a layer of polymer clay to
                        > appropriate parts of purchased or downloaded kits for paper boats. We
                        > have two members who design and market paper boat kits, at least two
                        > members who know how to assemble them and a new member, Andrea Renee,
                        > a.k.a. the "cre8tive_babe," who joined the group yesterday. Andrea
                        > works with polymer and air drying clays and several kinds of paper and
                        > is also a member of the Google discussion "group Papermodels II."
                        > Look in the links section for "Andrea's Tiny Crafts web site."
                        >
                        > ttfn, Frank

                        Frank, I'm at a loss to understand what the polymer clay is for.
                        Is it just a way of turning a paper boat into a PVC one?
                        Why a material whose whole claim to fame is that it heat-softens ?

                        Please enlighten.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
                          wrote:

> [...]

                          Hi David,

                          I am still trying enlighten myself by joining groups with members who
                          work with different types of polymer clay that harden when they are
                          heated, and other clays that harden by air drying. My intent is to
                          find some kind of one-shot material that can turn paper boats into
                          pop-pop boats made partly of paper, which will still be there, and
                          partly of some fairly inexpensive material that can make the paper
                          waterproof, and a lot stronger. We have a new member who works with a
                          variety of clays and papers. maybe she will chime in with an answer to
                          your question when she sees it.

                          ttfn, Frank
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                            From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

                            > different types of polymer clay that harden when they are
                            > heated, and other clays that harden by air drying. My intent is to
                            > find some kind of one-shot material that can turn paper boats into
                            > pop-pop boats made partly of paper, which will still be there, and
                            > partly of some fairly inexpensive material that can make the paper
                            > waterproof, and a lot stronger. We have a new member who works with a
                            > variety of clays and papers. maybe she will chime in with an answer to
                            > your question when she sees it.

                            These clays are PVC and paper based respectively.

                            Polymer clays re-soften with heat, and air-hardening clays shrink, but
                            either can make you a little boat shell.

                            Of course you'll still have to waterproof the paper on the outside.

                            Good luck

                            David
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                              wrote:

> [...]
                              Thanks David,

                              The Trondak company makes a product called Map Seal for making paper
                              maps waterproof and more resistant to repeated folding and unfolding.
                              Go to <http://www.aquaseal.com/contact.html> for information. I don't
                              know if there is a distributor in the UK, but you could probably find
                              out by contacting Dan, the super customer service guy who sent me some
                              treated and untreated pieces of map paper for testing. I did test them
                              and discovered the stuff really works.

                              Best wishes, Frank
                            • Andrea AKA Angel
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                                Frank thank you for that, I feel special now LOL I am glad to be here
                                and have been looking online for all sorts of ideas.

                                I do know how to make clay float. You may find on my web site a link
                                to a special Polymer clay artists from Singapore named Garie Sim. I
                                have featured him on my website http://tinycrafts.com/gariesim.html.
                                He has tested polymer clay in many different ways and it it very
                                useful information and instructions he provides.

                                Thanks again for having me.

                                Folded Paper Hugs
                                Andrea