It's only a paper moon sailing over a cardboard s ea— oops, this is supposed to be about paper boats

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2007

      We have several members who design or build paper models. At least one of our new members might have joined as a result of my intrusion on the Google discussion group, Papermodels II. to post information about a product for waterproofing paper maps, where also learned about a book with instructions for making scale models out of aluminum cans.I posted a link to the company that sells the book, but assume that the "secret process" is based on the use of of paper model parts as templates for cutting aluminum parts out of flat pieces of aluminum obtained by the dissection of soda pop cans.
      There is a link to "David Hathaway. the paper shipwright" who had already informed me that some people have used his kit parts as templates for cutting the parts for plastic models, and there is also a link to "Map Seal for making paper waterproof." A customer service guy sent an e-mail to inform me that he has mailed a catalog to me with a paper sample that has been treated with the waterproofing material. I will try to find out if the sample can be glued to a pop can, and post the findings of this hi-tech experiment. The objective, will be to find out if paper models can be made waterproof on the outside and to some degree, fireproof on the inside, since pop-pop boats actually do require fire to make them go.
      Paper models provide an enormous source of "inspiration" for developing pop-pop boats that would actually look like real steamboats, because there are a lot of kits for paper models designed by finding just about everything that's available about old 19th century steamboats. There's also an enormous potential market for pop-pop models of old ships and boats. I don't think Walmart or any of the toy store chains will be interested in selling them, but there are a lot of gift shops that museums, maritime organizations and heritage vessel restoration and maintenance groups rely on for some of their income. Go to < http://www.pskc.freeserve.co.uk/links.htm> for some of them.

      Best wishes, old Frank