Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Do we need a frappr map for the pop-pop-steamboats group?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
      Hi Karl,

      Thanks for your information. That "Longitude - Latitude, Google Earth feature seems like something that would help pop-pop-steamboats members with different specialties and locations get better acquainted. Could you get in touch with somebody on the group that has that feature to find out how to install and maintain it?

      Best wishes, Frank

      On 1/5/07, Karl <jernhammer@...> wrote:

      Hi Frank

      Several groups I'm on have Frapper maps and it is indeed interesting and good fun - one of the groups even has a Longitude -Latitude register so we can visit each others homes on Google Earth =-O .

      Best wishes
      KJ

    • Andrés Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
        Hi Frank
        It's a very good idea to have a frappr map, it's very easy to start, there is a starting button up to the right over the map, and every member can join it by himself. Just start the map and send the link here.
        Andrés

        Frank McNeill <frankmcneilll@...> escribió:
        Hi Karl,

        Thanks for your information. That "Longitude - Latitude, Google Earth feature seems like something that would help pop-pop-steamboats members with different specialties and locations get better acquainted. Could you get in touch with somebody on the group that has that feature to find out how to install and maintain it?

        Best wishes, Frank

        On 1/5/07, Karl <jernhammer@...> wrote:
        Hi Frank

        Several groups I'm on have Frapper maps and it is indeed interesting and good fun - one of the groups even has a Longitude -Latitude register so we can visit each others homes on Google Earth =-O .

        Best wishes
        KJ

        Correo Yahoo!

      • Karl
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2007
          Hi Frank

          Sorry to  have taken such a long time in getting back to you - better late than never huh?

          I am swapping one old  Mercedes engine for another in my Chevy Van because I run on used fry oil and I fell out of the thing and disabled myself somewhat a while ago. Anyway please come and visit me on Google earth - you first have to download it :

          http://earth.google.com

          and then it is just a matter of entering the Longitude & the Latitude co-ordinates or place names of where you want to go. To find your own position just pan around to your own house and note its coordinates.

          A Long-Lat list could be entered in the files section I suppose but there must be better easier ways. I was going to suggest that friend pop-pop member and steam engine fanatic Andrés may have a suitable suggestion (because he is good at stuff like this) but he is just off on an amazing journey adventure so we have to wait 3 or so weeks until he gets back.

          Not to worry - here's where I'm at in the meantime  55°39'59.34"N  13°58'10.48"E not much fun in itself - but it gives a sort of start position should anyone be curious, puts me in a geographical position for the group  - and on the other groups I'm on who do this, it sort of personalizes otherwise anonymous networking that has become available through the internet, only good can come of it - I hope. For example when Andrés declared his intentions to journey through Patagonia recently I have been able to look up some of his destinations and I have become quite fascinated with the history and consequence of the areas he is on his way to visit - I doubt that I would have done this had I not met him and known him through our group memberships./

          Best wishes
          KJ

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2007
            Hi Karl,

            I had enough trouble getting off frappr and think it might be a really
            bad idea for me to let Google, and everybody else with an Internet
            connection know my latitude and longitude coordinates. That info could
            be picked up by salesmen and bill collectors that have cell phones, or
            even by some defective cruise missile that forgot where it was
            supposed to go!

            Best wishes, old Frank

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Karl <jernhammer@...> wrote:

            > Hi Frank
            >
            > Sorry to have taken such a long time in getting back to you - better
            > late than never huh?
            > I am swapping one old Mercedes engine for another in my Chevy Van
            > because I run on used fry oil and I fell out of the thing and disabled
            > myself somewhat a while ago. Anyway please come and visit me on Google
            > earth - you first have to download it :
            > http://earth.google.com <http://earth.google.com/>
            > and then it is just a matter of entering the Longitude & the Latitude
            > co-ordinates or place names of where you want to go. To find your own
            > position just pan around to your own house and note its coordinates.

            snippety-- snippety-- snippety-- snippety-- snip.