Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Another crew member on the goodship lollypop-pop-steamboats

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2006
      --- John Schroeder <dmir2001@...> wrote:

      > Hi Frank...
      > LOL... And thanks for the welcome... I guess an
      > Emir is some kinda Muslem BigWig... Will see that as
      > a crossword puzzle clue every now and again.. Again,
      > thank you...
      Hi John,

      Thanks for your note which prompted a search to find
      out what the heck an emir is. This is what I found:

      Emir, originally Amir, meaning commander in Arabic,
      derives from the Arabic root ʾ-m-r "to order".
      Originally simply meaning commander or leader, usually
      in reference to a group of people, it came to be used
      as a title of governors or rulers, usually in smaller
      states, and in modern Arabic usually renders the
      English word 'prince'. The word entered English in
      1595, from the French émir [1].

      In Arabic and Persian :

      A state ruled by an independent emir is an emirate.
      Some emirates are sovereign, such as the Kuwaiti
      monarchy (ruled by the al-Sabah dynasty since the
      country gained independence in 1961), Qatar (since
      1971), and Bahrain (1971-2002). Emirates can also be
      constitutive parts of a state, notably the seven
      United Arab Emirates, which belong to a federal
      monarchy, and are the electors of its presidency and
      prime minister.
      Another meaning of the word emir is "prince"
      (specifically, the male descendant of a sovereign).
      This title was used in the sultanate of the Maldives
      alongside the native title Manippulu. In some states
      it could mean "crown prince" (more typically Wali
      al-Ahd). For example, before he was crowned as King
      Abdullah of Jordan, the son of King Hussein was still
      referred to as "Emir Abdullah" (in this case an
      obsolete title of the dynasty, which adopted the
      higher title of Malik = king).
      In other Muslim cultures
      In various Muslim states, Amir was also a nobiliary
      title, as under the (Turkic?) form ämir in the Tartar
      Khanate of Kazan
      In Pakistan and India it also means "rich", and has a
      connotation of immortality (a- means "not" and -mar
      means "dying", so the name Amar means eternal)
      Emir is also the title of the religious leader
      (without political power) of the Ahmadiyya anjuman
      ishaat-i Islam, a minor Muslim sect, established in
      Lahore in April 1914, with five incumbents to date.
      In northern Nigeria and other parts of the Sahel
      (including various jihad states), the title of some
      Muslim traditional rulers is emir or a corruption such
      as lamido, sometimes used in addition to a native
      title. The most prominent of these are the emirs of
      Kano, Bauchi, Zaria and Adamawa.
      The Yazidi religion has an emir as its secular leader
      alongside a chief sheikh as its religious leader.
      Derived and compound titles are numerous.

      Maybe I should print that out and carry it so I will
      be prepared if anybody ever asks me what an emir is.

      Best wishes, Frank

      Do You Yahoo!?