RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] The New Home Page Picture

  • Len Phillips
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
      Message
      great little bit of art ... love it .....
      very saleable I reckon with a caption ?

      who owns it ?   it's raining here <G>  all aboard ...Pop Pop ...

      Aussie Len
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007

        Len,

        I'm not sure of the origin of the "ARK". I captured it from a website in Greece. Our daughter was interested in Noah's Ark for a Classroom project. I back tracked and came up with this link.

        users.auth.gr/~azopidou/ PICTURES/PICTURES.HTM

        Noah's ark-elefant trouble(159KB)
        Noah's ark-Woodpecker trouble(180KB)
        Noah's ark-Winter trouble(149KB)
        Noah's ark-High speed trouble(149Kb)
        don't miss a boat(147KB)

        This should get you started.

        Enjoy,

        Pete

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
          Message
          Pete .... What a great link .... YES this will keep me amused for a little while .....

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 10, 2007

            The picture was cobbled together from clips of several goodies sold by the Mother of Hobbies Stores, formerly known as "Hobbies of Dereham" and now just "Hobbies." If you don't want to go there by boat, plane or train, go to < http://www.alwayshobbies.com/> instead.

            Best wishes, old Frank

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 10, 2007

              Mornin Frank n All,

              To expand on the Home Page boats...

              The little red stern wheeler is a pop-pop kit. The side wheeler in the center is made from available plans. It kinda looks like a whimsical variation of the 1808 CLERMONT. With a few mods it may be a candidate for a pop-pop CLERMONT.

              Again Frank, thanks for your tenacity and/or curiosity in all of your interesting finds.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 10, 2007
                And the top of the mornin to you Pete my lad n All,

                The pop-pop engine for the little red stern wheeler can be purchased
                separately for an outrageously inflated price. I posted it because the
                use of shrouds for heat containment has been discussed. It would be
                very easy to make your own shrouded engine by putting the little steam
                candle thingie at< http://tinyurl.com/yxko6y> in a shroud that could
                be cobbled together from tin cans and the like. The Mississippi stern
                wheeler was included because it came up when I used the word "paddle"
                for a search. It's basically just a static model for display, but
                might be converted for operation. As Pete stated, the side wheeler is
                something of an exception for Hobbies, which mostly sells kits. Plans
                are cheaper than kits however and a lot easier to scale up or down.
                This one is for a string pull boat with paddle wheels that might turn
                if the string was pulled hard enough. The hull is a bread and butter
                type that resembles models of the Clermont and plans from an old
                Popular Mechanics magazine that Pete has in the files section.

                ttfn, old Frank

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 12, 2007

                  The picture is one of several provided by Ekkehard Kröger, aka Eddy, that can be seen a photos album titled: "Eddy's Pop-Pop Boat,"  Several of the book's pages can be in a files folder titled: "Eddy's jpeg files."
                  Go to <http://tinyurl.com/y2gxna> for some interesting stuff.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 18 10:19 AM
                    The new picture shows a paper model of the SS Krakow that Jim Krauzlis
                    constructed. There are other views of the model in Jim's photos album.
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 2, 2007

                      Today's home page picture was contributed by Mike Moklak
                      <growlermike>. It shows a Steam Walker and is an imaginative example
                      of “steampunk” art associated with war game groups based on the
                      premise that space flight was developed during the 19th century
                      Victorian period. A link titled “Steam Walker” has been added to the
                      links section. Thanks Mike.

                      ttfn, Frank
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 3, 2007

                        Hi Frank,

                        "Steam Walker"? I don't know if you googled or not. There are several sites out there for unusual Steam Walkers. I must say that the "copper" looking one on our homepage has more class than most! There's just something about that copper and the old fashion design.

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3c_9lwsj4

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylzN6J2N4s

                        Here are a couple of videos.

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 3, 2007
                          Hi Pete,

                          Mike Moklak found the steam walker and asked me to post a link to it.
                          I didn't discover until after I posted it that it has a tiny steam
                          engine to drive the walking mechanism.
                          Go to <http://tinyurl.com/ypa2oa> and scroll down for more views of
                          the walker, then click on the MOVIE MEGA THEATER box for video of the
                          walker and several other steam powered things in action.

                          > Hi Frank,
                          >
                          > "Steam Walker"? I don't know if you googled or not. There are several
                          > sites out there for unusual Steam Walkers. I must say that the "copper"
                          > looking one on our homepage has more class than most! There's just
                          > something about that copper and the old fashion design.
                          >
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3c_9lwsj4
                          > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3c_9lwsj4>
                          >
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylzN6J2N4s
                          > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylzN6J2N4s>
                          >
                          > Here are a couple of videos.

                          > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi All,
                          > >
                          > > Today's home page picture was contributed by Mike Moklak
                          > > <growlermike>. It shows a Steam Walker and is an imaginative example
                          > > of “steampunk” art associated with war game groups based
                          > on the
                          > > premise that space flight was developed during the 19th century
                          > > Victorian period. A link titled “Steam Walker” has been
                          > added to the
                          > > links section. Thanks Mike.
                          > >
                          > > ttfn, Frank

                        • Andres
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 4, 2007
                            Hi All:
                            Did anybody follow the links behind this site? I found very
                            interesting things, including pop pop submarines:
                            http://tinyurl.com/2cl6tm
                            Pop Pop boats and submarines:
                            http://tinyurl.com/2yjftq
                            Andrés

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 5, 2007

                              Hi Andres,

                              Neat stuff! Thanks for the links. I hope that everyone will tak ethe time to check them and their associated links out.

                              Pete

                              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Andres" <jerigonzacl@...> wrote:

                              > Hi All:
                              > Did anybody follow the links behind this site? I found very
                              > interesting things, including pop pop submarines:
                              > http://tinyurl.com/2cl6tm
                              > Pop Pop boats and submarines:
                              > http://tinyurl.com/2yjftq
                              > Andrés
                              >

                              > > Hi Pete,
                              > >
                              > > Mike Moklak found the steam walker and asked me to post a link to it.
                              > > I didn't discover until after I posted it that it has a tiny steam
                              > > engine to drive the walking mechanism.
                              > > Go to <http://tinyurl.com/ypa2oa> and scroll down for more views of
                              > > the walker, then click on the MOVIE MEGA THEATER box for video of the
                              > > walker and several other steam powered things in action.

                            • frankmcneill
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 5, 2010

                                I "borrowed" Pete's picture of an ark with its "motley" crew and would like to dedicate it to motleyjustmotleynothingbutmotley a talented designer of card stock models that can be seen on the Paper Models discussion group and a new member of our little group of pop-pop boat enthusiasts.

                                Frank
                              • Motleyjust
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 5, 2010
                                  I am honored. I didn't think anyone noticed.

                                  Since you brought me up, a little self promotion:
                                  I have some art work, including the back cover, in a game book to be released first part of Oct.
                                  http://blackpigeonpress.com/archives/2032
                                  It will premier at Archon in St. Louis, MO Oct. 1.  I will be there to sign copies with the author and other artists.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 6, 2010

                                    The latest home page picture shows Motleyjust's back cover.

                                    Best wishes, Frank