Another crew member on the goodship lollypop-pop-steamboats

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4 9:30 AM
      I almost fainted when I read that an dmir2001 wanted
      to join the group. I was wearing the wrong glasses,
      and thought an Emir wanted to join! Not too sure what
      an Emir is, but recalled reading that they travel with
      a lot of harem women that would distract members of
      the crew from whatever it is that members of the crew
      are supposed to do. old Frank here

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • John Schroeder
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4 10:58 AM
        Hi Frank...

        LOL... And thanks for the welcome... I  guess an Emir is some kinda Muslem BigWig... Will see that as a crossword puzzle clue every now and again.. Again, thank you...

        John ... Butler, WI ...

        Frank McNeill <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:
        I almost fainted when I read that an dmir2001 wanted
        to join the group. I was wearing the wrong glasses,
        and thought an Emir wanted to join! Not too sure what
        an Emir is, but recalled reading that they travel with
        a lot of harem women that would distract members of
        the crew from whatever it is that members of the crew
        are supposed to do. old Frank here

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4 11:31 AM
          --- John Schroeder <dmir2001@...> wrote:

          > Hi Frank...
          >
          > LOL... And thanks for the welcome... I guess an
          > Emir is some kinda Muslem BigWig... Will see that as
          > a crossword puzzle clue every now and again.. Again,
          > thank you...

          Hi John,

          Thanks for your note which prompted a search to find
          out what the heck an emir is. This is what I found:

          Origins
          Emir, originally Amir, meaning commander in Arabic,
          derives from the Arabic root ʾ-m-r "to order".
          Originally simply meaning commander or leader, usually
          in reference to a group of people, it came to be used
          as a title of governors or rulers, usually in smaller
          states, and in modern Arabic usually renders the
          English word 'prince'. The word entered English in
          1595, from the French émir [1].

          In Arabic and Persian :

          A state ruled by an independent emir is an emirate.
          Some emirates are sovereign, such as the Kuwaiti
          monarchy (ruled by the al-Sabah dynasty since the
          country gained independence in 1961), Qatar (since
          1971), and Bahrain (1971-2002). Emirates can also be
          constitutive parts of a state, notably the seven
          United Arab Emirates, which belong to a federal
          monarchy, and are the electors of its presidency and
          prime minister.
          Another meaning of the word emir is "prince"
          (specifically, the male descendant of a sovereign).
          This title was used in the sultanate of the Maldives
          alongside the native title Manippulu. In some states
          it could mean "crown prince" (more typically Wali
          al-Ahd). For example, before he was crowned as King
          Abdullah of Jordan, the son of King Hussein was still
          referred to as "Emir Abdullah" (in this case an
          obsolete title of the dynasty, which adopted the
          higher title of Malik = king).
          [edit]
          In other Muslim cultures
          In various Muslim states, Amir was also a nobiliary
          title, as under the (Turkic?) form ämir in the Tartar
          Khanate of Kazan
          In Pakistan and India it also means "rich", and has a
          connotation of immortality (a- means "not" and -mar
          means "dying", so the name Amar means eternal)
          Emir is also the title of the religious leader
          (without political power) of the Ahmadiyya anjuman
          ishaat-i Islam, a minor Muslim sect, established in
          Lahore in April 1914, with five incumbents to date.
          In northern Nigeria and other parts of the Sahel
          (including various jihad states), the title of some
          Muslim traditional rulers is emir or a corruption such
          as lamido, sometimes used in addition to a native
          title. The most prominent of these are the emirs of
          Kano, Bauchi, Zaria and Adamawa.
          The Yazidi religion has an emir as its secular leader
          alongside a chief sheikh as its religious leader.
          Derived and compound titles are numerous.

          Maybe I should print that out and carry it so I will
          be prepared if anybody ever asks me what an emir is.

          http://mail.yahoo.com