new member

  • Joe Vella-Caruana
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 22, 2006
      Hi friends
      I have just joined the group. Here is some personal info.
      I am a sixty three year old pensioner ( ex assistant head of school with 45 years experience in teaching).Meanwhile I was in the Territorial Army ( as a sergeant), potholer,hiker and took part in various sports. I am a keen modeller, stamp collector and an avid reader.  To-day I try to keep myself active by helping in our local Art Club( see http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/christmasmangerscenes/photos/browse/4d9a ), the local Scout Group and a political club. I live in MALTA an independent island in the Mediterranean, south of Italy. To-day we form part of EUROPE. Our climate is naturally Mediterranean, which is sometning much looked for by the great amount of tourists coming daily to visit us throughout the year. More info to anyone who feels like asking.Just now i wish you all a Happy Christmas ans a Prosperous New Year.
      regards
      Joe
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 22, 2006
        Hi All,

        After approving Joe's admission to the group this morning I sent an e-mail note to welcome him to the group and started by confusing Malta with Gibraltar, then with Yalta, which is even farther off the mark.
        This might have been a bit before Joe's time, but during WW2 Malta became the most bombed place on earth and is the only nation that has collectively been awarded England's George Cross for gallantry under fire. For information about life in Malta during those dark days,go to < http://louishenwood.com/page01.html>.
        Thank you for joining us on the pop-pop-steamboats group Joe.

        Best wishes, old Frank

        On 12/22/06, Joe Vella-Caruana <jvc@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Len Phillips
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 22, 2006
          Message
          Best Wishes to you too Joe ... all the way from Down Under Australia ..
          Isn't e-mail fantastic ..

          Cheers
          Len ( the aussie )
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 23, 2006
            Hi Len
            thanks, its a smal world nowadays. Mind you I have relatives in Australia somewhere and a maltese friend in New Zealand. Best wishes.
            Joe
            From: pop-pop-steamboats@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:pop- pop-steamboats@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Joe Vella-Caruana

          • beatles127@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 26, 2009
              hi to you all. i have been looking about your site and at the
              photos..... i am retired and like to make pop pop boats. mostly
              wooden ones. i find the action of the engine facinating. i have an
              engine that is made of pirex glass. it has a traditional flat boiler
              and two pipes. it is interesting in that when it is running, there is
              no water in the boiler.....

              if you would like to see some of my boats go to ebay .com

              #110342632747 aftrican queen putt putt boat.

              #110342860125 wooden putt putt boat.

              thanks.......clyde
            • Richard Mundy
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 26, 2009
                Hi Clyde,
                I had a look on ebay, very impressive.
                Where did you find the pyrex motor, I find your comment about there
                being no water in the boiler when running interesting. Any chance of
                posting more pictures here.

                Dick

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "beatles127@..."
                <beatles127@...> wrote:

                > hi to you all. i have been looking about your site and at the
                > photos..... i am retired and like to make pop pop boats. mostly
                > wooden ones. i find the action of the engine facinating. i have an
                > engine that is made of pirex glass. it has a traditional flat boiler
                > and two pipes. it is interesting in that when it is running, there is
                > no water in the boiler.....
                >
                > if you would like to see some of my boats go to ebay .com
                >
                > #110342632747 aftrican queen putt putt boat.
                >
                > #110342860125 wooden putt putt boat.
                >
                > thanks.......clyde

              • Clyde Hollifield
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 27, 2009
                  dick

                  the pryex glass engine was made for me by a scientific glass blower friend who works in a lab...    unfortunately i do not have  a video camera and only dial up internet service so posting anything other than a snapshot is not possible.
                  but, here's what happens when i fire the glass engine up.  as it begins to heat and steam forms, all water is driven out of the boiler .  when the tubes are only about half full of water, it begans to pulse.   close inspection reveals that in the area where the steam meets the water, i can see condensation on the walls of the tube. this condensation comes and goes with the beat of the engine. in other words, the temp just in front of the water collum is cooling (condensation) then heating (no condensation)  this happens in a very small area only about  a half inch long.  you can see a bit of vapor coming and going in the tube.

                  also of interest is the fact that the water collum does a tiny bounce at each end of the stroke.  this i think is coming from the inerta of the moving water.  i think this over shooting of the water adds to the working of the engine......   ie.  as water is drawn into the tube by cooling and contraction of the air inside, it's momentium carries the water a bit futher than the cooling air would have drawn it in.  this tiny amount causes the air pressure to rise inside the engine (this compressioon raises the temp a bit artificialy) this in turn causes the steam flash in the tube and the water is expelled.      the oposite happens as the water is exiting the tube. as it nears the end of it's stroke, inerta carries it a bit further than the compresed steam. this pulling out of the water causes a drop in pressure inside the tube (hence cooling)  water condenses inside as the engine is forced to cool.....and the vaccum draws water back in...

                  this explanation is supported by the fact that pop pop engines will work (sometimes better) when the heat is removed.   the boiler in fact remains the same temp.  the only heat change is in the tubes ahead of the water.

                  at least this is how it appears when i am looking at the glass engine.

                  i would be willing to send the engine to the pop pop group if someone would like to film it in action.  it would take a closeup lense.      let me know.  I had 3 glass engines made of slightly different designs ,and have broken 2.

                  thanks clyde bluestick

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 27, 2009

                    If you go to Jean-Yves Renaud's Website he has articles on glass and large  pop-pop engines.

                    http://www.eclecticspace.net/index2.php?rub=poppop

                    Jean-Yves really goes into the theory and physics of pulse engines. He has quite an interesting display of knowledge and experiments.

                    Pete

                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Clyde Hollifield <beatles127@...> wrote:

                    > dick
                    >
                    > the pryex glass engine was made for me by a scientific glass blower friend who works in a lab...    unfortunately i do not have  a video camera and only dial up internet service so posting anything other than a snapshot is not possible.
                    > but, here's what happens when i fire the glass engine up.  as it begins to heat and steam forms, all water is driven out of the boiler .  when the tubes are only about half full of water, it begans to pulse.   close inspection reveals that in the area where the steam meets the water, i can see condensation on the walls of the tube. this condensation comes and goes with the beat of the engine. in other words, the temp just in front of the water collum is cooling (condensation) then heating (no condensation)  this happens in a very small area only about  a half inch long.  you can see a bit of vapor coming and going in the tube.
                    >
                    > also of interest is the fact that the water collum does a tiny bounce at each end of the stroke.  this i think is coming from the inerta of the moving water.  i think this over shooting of the water adds to the working of the engine......   ie.  as water is drawn into the tube by cooling and contraction of the air inside, it's momentium carries the water a bit futher than the cooling air would have drawn it in.  this tiny amount causes the air pressure to rise inside the engine (this compressioon raises the temp a bit artificialy) this in turn causes the steam flash in the tube and the water is expelled.      the oposite happens as the water is exiting the tube. as it nears the end of it's stroke, inerta carries it a bit further than the compresed steam. this pulling out of the water causes a drop in pressure inside the tube (hence cooling)  water condenses inside as the engine is forced to cool.....and the vaccum draws water back in...
                    >
                    > this explanation is supported by the fact that pop pop engines will work (sometimes better) when the heat is removed.   the boiler in fact remains the same temp.  the only heat change is in the tubes ahead of the water.
                    >
                    > at least this is how it appears when i am looking at the glass engine.
                    >
                    > i would be willing to send the engine to the pop pop group if someone would like to film it in action.  it would take a closeup lense.      let me know.  I had 3 glass engines made of slightly different designs ,and have broken 2.
                    >
                    > thanks clyde bluestick

                  • Richard Mundy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 27, 2009
                      Hi Clyde,

                      this is most interesting,it occurs to me that a glass pop pop could
                      be made simply with a length of glass tubing with the end sealed up.
                      The experiments could be repeated using different diameters and
                      lengths.
                      I would offer to video your pop pop but I am in UK. Also I am very
                      concerned about breaking it,

                      Dick

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 27, 2009
                        Hi All,

                        This thread generated one of those deju vu feelings. I was unable to
                        find out why because I lost my deju rear vu mirror a whle back, but a
                        message search provided this reply from Mister Pop-Pop Pages himself.

                        "My experience indicates that you don't necessarily want a hotter
                        fuel. The problem is that a really hot fire makes it harder to get the
                        cold zone necessary for the condensation part of the the pulse cycle.
                        I built a boat with a very hot alcohol burner and the thing would not
                        run after a short period. When I changed the burner to something less
                        aggressive, it ran fine. So, I think that if you are going to have a
                        really hot burner, you must also take pains to have a really effective
                        cool zone. This could be a "sump pump" evaporator, running the tubes
                        into the water and along the underside of the boat rather than out the
                        rear transom."

                        regards,
                        Vance Bass

                        As for glass, good for test stands to see what happens inside, but
                        really bad for use in wooden boats for kids.

                        old Frank

                        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"

                      • beatles127@rocketmail.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 27, 2009
                          HI , I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WOULD GET THOUGH..........THE TEXT ON THE
                          SCREEN GIVES ME NO CLUE.....I LIVE ON THE APPALACHIAN RESERVATION AND
                          HAVE ONLY DIAL UP...........IF YOU GET THIS. DICK....I HAVE ALREADY
                          BROKEN 2 OF THE 3 GLASS ENGINES THAT I HAVE SO IF YOU DO LIKEWISE, IT
                          WILL BE NO PROBLEM.......... I THINK YOUR IDEA OF A CLOSED PYREX TUBE
                          IS SOUND..........AND I THINK YOU WILL SEE THE CONDENSATION COMING
                          AND GOING AT THE INTERFACE OF THE WATER COLLUM AND THE HEATED AIR
                          (STEAMa)...--- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Mundy"
                          <coracles18@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > than the compresed steam. this pulling out of the water causes a
                          drop
                          > in pressure inside the tube (hence cooling)  water condenses inside
                          > as the engine is forced to cool.....and the vaccum draws water back
                          > in...
                          > >
                          > > this explanation is supported by the fact that pop pop engines
                          will
                          > work (sometimes better) when the heat is removed.   the boiler in
                          > fact remains the same temp.  the only heat change is in the tubes
                          > ahead of the water.
                          > >
                          > > at least this is how it appears when i am looking at the glass
                          > engine.
                          > >
                          > > i would be willing to send the engine to the pop pop group if
                          > someone would like to film it in action.  it would take a closeup
                          > lense.      let me know.  I had 3 glass engines made of slightly

                        • Richard Mundy
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 28, 2009
                            Hi Clyde,

                            coming thro fine!

                            Apparently various people have made small glass engines, and there
                            are some videos online (see a very recent post).
                            Rather than bust your engine, it may be more useful for me to find a
                            supplier of large bore borosylicate glass tube and make a big one.
                            One of the big unknowns seems to be what happens at the steam/water
                            interface particularly when the effect of surface tension is
                            minimised.
                            Borosylicate glass has a very low coefficient of expansion and like
                            pyrex is less prone to brakage thro thermal shock.

                            <beatles127@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > drop
                            > > in pressure inside the tube (hence cooling)  water condenses
                            inside
                            > > as the engine is forced to cool.....and the vaccum draws water
                            back
                            > > in...
                            > > >
                            > > > this explanation is supported by the fact that pop pop engines
                            > will
                            > > work (sometimes better) when the heat is removed.   the boiler in
                            > > fact remains the same temp.  the only heat change is in the tubes
                            > > ahead of the water.
                            > > >
                            > > > at least this is how it appears when i am looking at the glass
                            > > engine.
                            > > >
                            > > > i would be willing to send the engine to the pop pop group if
                            > > someone would like to film it in action.  it would take a closeup
                            > > lense.      let me know.  I had 3 glass engines made of slightly

                          • Mike OBrien
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 2, 2011
                              I live in SE Michigan and stumbled on pop-pop boats as I was stumbling around on the internet.

                              What a cool idea! I have not had much time to play with this stuff lately - building a brewing up in the Soo - but have put together a couple of boat that have kind-of sort-of worked.

                              I need to spend more time to figure out what I am doing wrong. I suspect that I will find the answers on this site - when I get a minute to look.

                              I hope to have a fleet of these thing floating around Higgons Lake this summer during a family gathering.

                              Mike O'Brien
                              734-637-2532

                              Mike O'Brien
                              734-637-2532

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 2, 2011

                                Thanks Mike & welcome to our group.

                                We hope you have your Fleet to share with family too!

                                Pete