Re: Radio control pop-pop boats

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hi Don and Buzz,

      There is another way to slow the "screamer" down by using props with
      a flatter pitch. Guys on the tugsandtows group started making their
      own props after discovering that props made by using fixtures to
      twist the blades of props cut from flat metal worked just as well as
      custom made props designed to look like those on real tug boats.
      Flat blades wouldn't provide any thrust, so it seems reasonable to
      believe that a very slight degree of twist would provide a very
      slight degree of propulsion and speed. Maybe that's why I have so
      much trouble propelling myself out of bed these days.

      old Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "buzzsboatyard"
      <buzzsboatyard@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Don... it really is a screamer. But no, it is not
      > proportional. It's full on when you hit the throttle. I had to
      learn
      > to stand beside it instead of behind it when I hit the throttle
      after
      > getting soaked a couple of times. <g> It is differential thrust.
      > If you're thinking of putting this in something small... it might
      not
      > fit as the radio is a bit large. I really think, for the money,
      > that the Specktrum DX-6 radio is the best for the price. It
      transmits
      > and receives on 2 channels... no glitches. The receivers are also
      very
      > small. I'd better shut up, because I think there is an article
      coming
      > out soon in Steam In The Garden magazine. Look for it... I use
      one
      > now and it is incredible!
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Munsey Jr."
      > <dmunseyjr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Buzz,
      > >
      > > KOOL Boat!
      > >
      > > Now you've got my interest and I can bet there will be a few
      others
      > interested in your cheaprc program. There is a faction of the On30
      > Model Railroad community, led by Woodie Clyde Greene of the Texas
      > Outlaws On30 group, that is rebelling against layout wiring and
      track
      > cleaning. They are converting their locomotives to self-contained,
      > battery powered R/C units. I'm a remote follower and have several
      > S/Sn42 and 1:24 R/C locos in the works (I use many of the same
      > mechanisms the On30 crowd does). The current source of choice for
      the
      > R/C electronics for these conversions is the Kyosho Mini-Z 1:24 R/C
      > autos with digital proportional speed control (As yet the steering
      > channel is not often used - however - there are lot's of creative
      folk
      > into R/C trains - so who knows). At about $100 a pop (cheaper
      > occasionally on e-bay) the Mini-Z racers are a bit pricey, but
      still
      > very much affordable. Your $60 R/C speed boat peaques my
      interest!
      > Here are a couple of questions:
      > >
      > > 1. Can you slow the boat down to operate something like a tug
      boat
      > (I want a 1:24 river tug for my garden railway)? In other words,
      Is
      > the speed controller proportional, or full forward only?
      > >
      > > 2. What is the size of the electronics and battery components
      for
      > this boat?
      > >
      > > 3. Can they be physically separated?
      > >
      > > 4 Can they be purchased separately?
      > >
      > > 5. Can different boats be operated simultaneously?
      > >
      > > 6. Is there a rudder in this boat (2nd channel), or is
      directional
      > controll accomplished by differential thrust applied to the port
      and
      > starboard engines?
      > >
      > > That's all I can think of now.
      > >
      > > Keep in touch.
      > > Don Munsey, Jr.
      > > dmunseyjr@
      > > Sn42 and Hn42 logging fan
      > > Virginian Rwy fan
      > > Bonsai grasshopper
      > > Living in the UpperRightCorner of Louisiana.

      They