Re: New member intro

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2006
      Hi Ed,

      Thanks for your introduction to the group. You have experience and
      talent that we need, and I am delighted to have you as a member of the
      pop-pop-steamboats group. The lack of experience with pop-pop boats
      doesn't matter, because it can be described as follows: You fill a
      little tin boat's boiler and propulsion tubes with water and keep it
      from running out while the boat is put into a body of water larger
      than a bucket and smaller than an ocean. Then you ignite the wick of a
      candle or burner and wait for something to happen. The last times I
      did this were before WW2 and what usually happened was that my boats
      would pop-pop around in circles until they got stuck in weeds or moss
      on the far side of Duck Creek and sink when I tried to retrieve them
      with a throw line tied to a three prong fishhook.
      I didn't play with pop-pop boats long enough to learn that diaphragm
      boilers eventually burn out, in contrast with coiled tube boilers that
      might last forever if they are in boats that don't sink. Our member
      Richard Jenkins has pictures of an unsinkable boat with an engine that
      might last forever in the photos section a "Popflea and Firefly" album
      in the photos section. Richard's boats look like real boats, instead
      of recycled tin cans, and set a pattern for the development of boats
      that might eventually be equipped for radio control.
      There are also albums in the photos section titled "Matts Clermont"
      and "The North River Project" that are related to goals for using kits
      for paper boat models as sources of "inspiration. Matt Sparks is one
      of our members and another designer of paper models is our official
      adviser. Go to the links section to click on a link titled: "DAVID
      HATHAWAY, THE PAPER SHIPWRIGHT" to see models assembled from some of
      his kits. David's kits are for waterline models that might be
      converted to working models by printing them on waterproof materials
      and providing them with hulls that extend below the waterline. You
      might notice a degree of similarity between your kits for waterline
      models which have pieces cut with lasers, and David Hathaway's kits
      which have pieces for his customers to cut out, using scissors and
      X-Acto knives. The best feature of kits for paper boat models is that
      there are so many of them. Go to <http://www.papermodels.net/> to look
      for a sampling ship and boat kits in the Paper Models International
      catalog if you haven't already done so.

      Best wishes, old Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Fillion"