Re: Radio control pop-pop boats

  • buzzsboatyard
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2 1:32 PM
      Thanks, Don... it really is a screamer. But no, it is not
      proportional. It's full on when you hit the throttle. I had to learn
      to stand beside it instead of behind it when I hit the throttle after
      getting soaked a couple of times. <g> It is differential thrust.
      If you're thinking of putting this in something small... it might not
      fit as the radio is a bit large. I really think, for the money,
      that the Specktrum DX-6 radio is the best for the price. It transmits
      and receives on 2 channels... no glitches. The receivers are also very
      small. I'd better shut up, because I think there is an article coming
      out soon in Steam In The Garden magazine. Look for it... I use one
      now and it is incredible!

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Munsey Jr."
      <dmunseyjr@...> wrote:

      > Buzz,
      >
      > KOOL Boat!
      >
      > Now you've got my interest and I can bet there will be a few others
      interested in your cheaprc program. There is a faction of the On30
      Model Railroad community, led by Woodie Clyde Greene of the Texas
      Outlaws On30 group, that is rebelling against layout wiring and track
      cleaning. They are converting their locomotives to self-contained,
      battery powered R/C units. I'm a remote follower and have several
      S/Sn42 and 1:24 R/C locos in the works (I use many of the same
      mechanisms the On30 crowd does). The current source of choice for the
      R/C electronics for these conversions is the Kyosho Mini-Z 1:24 R/C
      autos with digital proportional speed control (As yet the steering
      channel is not often used - however - there are lot's of creative folk
      into R/C trains - so who knows). At about $100 a pop (cheaper
      occasionally on e-bay) the Mini-Z racers are a bit pricey, but still
      very much affordable. Your $60 R/C speed boat peaques my interest!
      Here are a couple of questions:

      > 1. Can you slow the boat down to operate something like a tug boat
      (I want a 1:24 river tug for my garden railway)? In other words, Is
      the speed controller proportional, or full forward only?

      > 2. What is the size of the electronics and battery components for
      this boat?

      > 3. Can they be physically separated?
      >
      > 4 Can they be purchased separately?
      >
      > 5. Can different boats be operated simultaneously?
      >
      > 6. Is there a rudder in this boat (2nd channel), or is directional
      controll accomplished by differential thrust applied to the port and
      starboard engines?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2 1:52 PM
        Hi Don and Buzz,

        There is another way to slow the "screamer" down by using props with
        a flatter pitch. Guys on the tugsandtows group started making their
        own props after discovering that props made by using fixtures to
        twist the blades of props cut from flat metal worked just as well as
        custom made props designed to look like those on real tug boats.
        Flat blades wouldn't provide any thrust, so it seems reasonable to
        believe that a very slight degree of twist would provide a very
        slight degree of propulsion and speed. Maybe that's why I have so
        much trouble propelling myself out of bed these days.

        old Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "buzzsboatyard"