FW: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Aussie len follows up ...

  • Len Phillips
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
      Message
      Guys go to the gallery and see the process happen .... we could do quite a few trains and boats all in the one hit ?
      Now I have a printer where we could colour the acrylic BEFORE pressing and wella all done in one hit ?

      Maybe I'm getting too excited here ... must be Christmas ...

      Len
      Guys further to my comments on the vacuum forming .... here's the bit of gear I got excited about ....

      Any thoughts if something like this could form the models ? NOW remember I'm no whiz on this stuff BUT I'm very curious and can make anything happen given half a chance <G>  http://www.cyberform.com.au/    ...  www.cyberform.com.au

      Cheers
      Len ( the aussie )
    • Len Phillips
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
        Message
        http://www.cyberform.com.au/PG4Models.htm      already doing stuff for models ???

        Len

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
          Hi Len,

          You have described one form of thermoforming. It was probably used
          first for packaging. Now a lot of cheap model and toy boats have thin
          plastic hulls that are formed by vacuum forming, pressure forming or
          combinations of plug assisted and vacuum forming. One of the members
          of the tugsandtows discussion group uses vacuum forming to produce R/C
          tug models with polystyrene hulls, decks and the like. His name is
          Phil Pace and he has a web site at: <http://www.vac-u-boat.com/>.

          old Frank

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Len Phillips" <winho@...>

        • vrbass@nmia.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
            > Now I have a printer where we could colour the acrylic BEFORE pressing

            More on that, please. Is it a pad printer? Thermal wax? Silkscreen?

            You're teasing us, mate!

            Vance
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
              Teasing is what our aussie does best Vance. Check out his message #382 with a proposal for turning the group into a hiring hall where a young buck with marketing save (savvy perhaps?) could put and direct our ol codgers to a very profitable future. Click on his Yahoo ID <lentheaussie2> and you will see a photo of someone who looks a lot more like an old joker than a young buck on the make.

              old Frank

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                Flat bed UV cured inks .... You can put a timber door in and print a
                scene on the whole door <G> Great for logos on windows and flooring and
                all sorts of stuff ... Virtually print on anything .... Even corrugated
                iron looks good <G>

                Not teasing at all and all doable ... I'm playing with shower screen
                doors in 10mill acrylic and wanting to put underwater scenes and fish on
                them for the screen doors at resorts ... Sounds good to me and looks
                sensational ... Way way less expensive than glass .. And tougher too ...

                http://www.oce.com/en/Products/Printers-copiers-plotters/Colour/GraphArt
                sOutdoor/ArizonaT220/default.htm

                But we use the UV cured model and not the solvent ....

                Cheers
                Len

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                  Message

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                    Message
                    Click on his Yahoo ID <lentheaussie2> and you will see a photo of someone who looks a lot more like an old joker than a young buck on the make.

                    old Frank
                    Mate have you heard about the young bull and the old bull ? <G>

                    Now a buck on the make ? I'm all ears ......

                    be good

                    Len
                  • casy_ch@tbwil.ch
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                      Hi Frank

                      I like your explanation of identifications. Even on the other side of the pond, I still understood it. We have the same thing between the french, swiss, belgium, african and canadian french.

                      "old" Jean-Claude, Switzerland
                      www.homestead.com/turnandmill

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                        Hi "old" Jean-Claude,

                        I've started adding links to the web sites of members that have them.
                        I thought about developing a web site a while back, but couldn't think
                        of a reason why I needed one— so I started this discussion group
                        instead. Thanks for posting.

                        old, really old, Frank