Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Radio control pop-pop boats

  • Donald Munsey Jr.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
      Buzz,

      KOOL Boat!

      Now you've got my interest and I can bet there will be a few others interested in your cheaprc program.  There is a faction of the On30 Model Railroad community, led by Woodie Clyde Greene of the Texas Outlaws On30 group, that is rebelling against layout wiring and track cleaning. They are converting their locomotives to self-contained, battery powered R/C units.  I'm a remote follower and have several S/Sn42 and 1:24 R/C locos in the works (I use many of the same mechanisms the On30 crowd does).  The current source of choice for the R/C electronics for these conversions is the Kyosho Mini-Z 1:24 R/C autos with digital proportional speed control (As yet the steering channel is not often used - however - there are lot's of creative folk into R/C trains - so who knows).  At about $100 a pop (cheaper occasionally on e-bay) the Mini-Z racers are a bit pricey, but still very much affordable.  Your $60 R/C speed boat peaques my interest!  Here are a couple of questions:

      1.  Can you slow the boat down to operate something like a tug boat (I want a 1:24 river tug for my garden railway)?  In other words, Is the speed controller proportional, or full forward only?

      2.   What is the size of the electronics and battery components for this boat?

      3.   Can they be physically separated?

      4   Can they be purchased separately?

      5.  Can different boats be operated simultaneously?

      6.  Is there a rudder in this boat (2nd channel), or is directional controll accomplished by differential thrust applied to the port and starboard engines?

      That's all I can think of now.

      Keep in touch.
      Don Munsey, Jr.
      dmunseyjr@...
      Sn42 and Hn42 logging fan
      Virginian Rwy fan
      Bonsai grasshopper
      Living in the UpperRightCorner of Louisiana.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
        Oh, no big deal. It isn't much to look at right now. The boats are
        fun.... but I'm really hooked one one of the r/c planes! Seems like
        the day flies by so fast I just don't have the time to do all the
        things I'd like to.

        <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Theater" link. There are several videos of a very few of the boats I
        > > stock and sell. I have at least a dozen more new types of pop pop
        > > boats which I just brought through customs....and another shipment due
        > > in from India on Monday. I will try to get the pictures up quickly.
        > > If you want to get more information on how the engine runs, click on
        > > the bold links on the intro page on my site. I have tons of
        > > information to share, so if you have questions about these little
        > > wonders... feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to give you the
        > > information you need.
        > >
        > > Frank... this is a great idea! I hope we can draw more people into
        > > the group here who are interested in them or have questions. I'll post
        > > some pictures as we go along. Pop pop engines date back to the 1800's
        > > . I'd love to hear some project ideas. Right now I am building a wood
        > > shrimp boat 10" long with a large pop pop engine in it. There is
        > > plenty of room for R/C. I can also help out with the r/c stuff as I
        > > am trying to finish my "cheaprc.com" site now. Here's the url to my
        > > boat site. Feel free to leave feedback or ask questions. I can get pop
        > > pop boats as small as 4"... they are called "Mini-Pops".
        > >
        > > Buzz
        > > Buzz's BoatYard
        > >
        > > www.buzzboats.com
        > >

        > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill
        > > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Chuck,
        > > >
        > > > I will field that one because I think I know the
        > > > answers.
        > > > The late Peter R. Payne, mentioned in the pop-pop
        > > > pages,
        > > > is reported to have experimented with pop-pop boats
        > > > large enough to ride in. There's an image of a patent
        > > > with a diagram of the engine he probably used, a lot
        > > > more complicated than the engines in little tin boats
        > > > though. Dustin McMillian, owner of Buzz's Boatyard,
        > > > reported that he built a boat with the kind of RC
        > > > stuff
        > > > hobbyists use and equipped it with three pop-pop
        > > > engines. The largest of the tin pop-pop boats made
        > > > in India and sold by Buzz is the 15-inch long
        > > > "Titanic."
        > > > The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
        > > > equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
        > > > 12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
        > > > as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
        > > > with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
        > > > ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
        > > > With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
        > > > for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
        > > > There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
        > > > by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
        > > > posted a link to the American Stirling company to
        > > > provide an answer to how small can they be.
        > > > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
        > > > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
        > > >
        > > > Best wishes, Frank

        > > > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted

      • buzzsboatyard
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
          Thanks, Don... it really is a screamer. But no, it is not
          proportional. It's full on when you hit the throttle. I had to learn
          to stand beside it instead of behind it when I hit the throttle after
          getting soaked a couple of times. <g> It is differential thrust.
          If you're thinking of putting this in something small... it might not
          fit as the radio is a bit large. I really think, for the money,
          that the Specktrum DX-6 radio is the best for the price. It transmits
          and receives on 2 channels... no glitches. The receivers are also very
          small. I'd better shut up, because I think there is an article coming
          out soon in Steam In The Garden magazine. Look for it... I use one
          now and it is incredible!

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Munsey Jr."

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
            Hi Don and Buzz,

            There is another way to slow the "screamer" down by using props with
            a flatter pitch. Guys on the tugsandtows group started making their
            own props after discovering that props made by using fixtures to
            twist the blades of props cut from flat metal worked just as well as
            custom made props designed to look like those on real tug boats.
            Flat blades wouldn't provide any thrust, so it seems reasonable to
            believe that a very slight degree of twist would provide a very
            slight degree of propulsion and speed. Maybe that's why I have so
            much trouble propelling myself out of bed these days.