PERSONAL BLIMP NEWS press coverage and flight testing

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2006
      I am just plain tickled to report that the blimp is getting its first coverage by the national print media this week. Forbes magazine is running a very nice piece in their most recent issue. The cover date is December 25
      but it's on newsstands now. The story is available online at http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2006/1225/148.html
      We're also going to be in this Sunday's New York Times Magazine section as part of their story on "The Year in Ideas." So be sure to check out the Magazine section with your coffee and bagels.
      I have to admit, I find it very cool that our press coverage is starting with the "Capitalist Tool" and the "Paper of Record." Best of all, they found us. We haven't sent out a single press release -- yet.
      As for the flying stuff, as opposed to the publicity stuff, we've had a busy month since the first test flight in October. There are some more photos at <www.personalblimp.com
      >.
      We've had 6 flight test sessions with a total of 10.2 hours of flight test. By passing the magic 10 hour point, we formally completed what the FAA calls "Phase I" testing. We are now free fly at night, fly outside our initial flight test area, and to take passengers.
      Taking passengers is still a bit problematic since we are still in discussions with the FAA about the appropriate pilot rating needed for taking people along. Fortunately, we don't need any particular rating to fly on our own. So, as far as the regulatory formalities are concerned, the ship is ready to give rides, even if pilots aren't just yet. In any case, the pilots (Mike K and myself) need to get a bit more practice under our belts before we feel comfortable taking anybody but ourselves on a ride.

      Regards to all,
      Dan Nachbar