Fw: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: New member

  • Barry McClelland
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2006

      Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 7:10 PM
      Subject: Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: New member

      Hi Pete,
        The process, I start by making a master by hand. I use sheet, strip, tube. and shape styrene. I also laminate sheet styrene to make stock form my lathe. From the master I make the pre-production molds to make the production masters. Most production molds make more than one part. The molds are made out of RTV room temperature vulcanizing rubber. A silicone rubber with a 10% catalyst to cure it. The molds usually cure overnight. I do have to make boxes to put the master in to hold the rubber. Once I have the first set of production molds done I test them. I cast the molds with resin to be sure it works properly. I then assemble a kit from production parts. If everything fits I make as many sets of production molds as I need. Casting with resin, I use premium resin, you get what you pay for big time!! I measure out the resin 50-50 and mix it. The resin I use the most has a 3 minute work time. I work the into resin in the mold to get rid of bubbles. I can remove the parts in 30 to 60 minutes depending on detail and thickness.

        The main size restriction of my vacuum chamber. This is used to remover air from the RTV. It is 12 inch diameter. This can be worked around and larger molds can be made. I have not made any molds that wouldn't fit in the chamber. I have been around when larger molds have been made.

      Stability and Warpage, I use Alumilite RC-3 it is extremely stable. Most parts that warp are thin and can easily be fixed, thick parts rarely warp. To fix warped parts I dip them in boiled water for about 10 seconds the place on a flat surface and hold it down. Once it has cooled it will retain the shape.

        The detail that can be produced is unbelievable. I can write on a master with a pencil and you can read it on the casting.
               Thanks Barry