Today's Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006

      New Orleans has had several bad days. Before Katrina there was the day
      David Farragut's fleet came to town <http://tinyurl.com/y2y4gx>. old
      Frank
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006

        The picture shows another source of "inspiration" for designing pop-pop boats.
        There are several companies that produce unpainted waterline miniatures that
        are used principally as markers for nautical war games. The miniatures would
        not be converted to pop-pop boats, but could be scaled up and combined with
        below the waterline hulls and pop-pop engines— of course. :-)

        old Frank
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006

          I saw a news item about some of the changes that global warming will cause.
          One prediction was that by 2050, America's grain belt will have moved to Canada.
          Another change was too horrible to describe, so I added a picture instead.

          Best wishes, old Frank
        • casy_ch@tbwil.ch
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
            High "young minded" Frank

            Where did you put this picture?

            Kind regards
            Jean-Claude, Switzerland
            www.homestead.com/turnandmill

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
              Hi yourself Jean-Claude,

              I don't send e-mail attachments because some members prefer to receive daily digests of messages and the digests don't have any provision for attachments.

              Best wishes from young minded, old bodied Frank

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 13, 2007

                I am still trying to find really cheap ways for building pop-pop boats
                and joined a forums group at <http://www.papiermache.co.uk/forum/> for
                people who apparently can make just about anything out of paper mache.
                I posted my usual blurb about the group and got a reply that steered
                me to a member who had constructed a radio control model of a
                narrowboat with a hull made of newsprint that was subsequently
                waterproofed and painted. He used several lead acid batteries for
                ballast and power and reported that the boat was completely dry inside
                after several hours in a nearby pond.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 13, 2007
                  Frank, A traditional papier mache method for making strong light uniform
                  model hulls is to used gumstrip. You know, the brown paper strip on a roll
                  with glue on one side. Start with a layer of torn newsprint over the
                  "plug", and then tear the gumstrip into short lengths and soak briefly in
                  water - not long enough to take off the glue, but long enough to make it
                  stretchy so that it conforms to the shape of the plug. Waterproof before
                  sailing!

                  From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 13, 2007
                    Hi David,

                    "Papier Mache" is French for "Chewed up Paper." If you have ever tasted the horrible glue on paper tape you would realize that nobody would willingly chew the stuff. If was formerly used for closing corrugated cardboard boxes. The only problem is that it doesn't stick to corrugated cardboard very well. Much better to use Duct Tape which works fairly well on everything except ducts. Go to < http://tinyurl.com/yxyyzv> for more than you might want to know about chewed up paper and things that are related, or just good friends.

                    ttfn (French for Abyssinia), old Frank

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 7 10:10 AM

                      We have new members so today's home page picture was posted to show
                      the square brass tube boiler that Richard Jenkins used to build our
                      poster child, the "Popflea." There are two types of pop-pop engines.
                      One type uses diaphragm boilers that make the popping noise and the
                      other type uses tube boilers that don't pop. As far as I know, both
                      types are called pop-pop engines. If anybody thinks of a better name
                      for the don't pop type we might need to change the name of the group.
                      For more information about the Popflea jump in the wayback machine for
                      a trip to Message #55.

                      ttfn, old Frank
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 7 11:20 AM
                        From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

                        > One type uses diaphragm boilers that make the popping noise and the
                        > other type uses tube boilers that don't pop. As far as I know, both
                        > types are called pop-pop engines. If anybody thinks of a better name
                        > for the don't pop type we might need to change the name of the group.

                        I think the name of the group is fine because everyone who cares knows what
                        we mean.
                        It's also easier for more people to grasp than the traditional "Phut-Phut".

                        The tube type engines still pulse, but silently.
                        The equivalent air-engine has always been called a Pulse Jet.

                        So if we change at all, the word "pulse" might well figure.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 7 11:59 AM
                          Hi David,

                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "David Halfpenny" <dh1@...> wrote:

> [...]

                          Maybe we could call it the Repetitive Pulse Group or abbreviate it as the Re-Pulsive Group.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 7 2:10 PM
                            From: "Frank McNeill" frankmcneilll@...

                            > Maybe we could call it the Repetitive Pulse Group or abbreviate it as
                            the Re-Pulsive Group.

                            Careful now, we don't want the members Revolting. :-) D
                          • Andrés Gonzalez
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 7 4:59 PM
                              Hi All:
                              I was looking into http://del.icio.us and I found these links, maybe some are already known:

                              Andrés

                              Correo Yahoo!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
                                The picture was provided a while back by Ekkehard Kröger, a member of
                                the Google group,"rec . models . rc . water" in response to my request
                                for information about kits and plans that might be used for pop-pop
                                boats. ttfn, Frank
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007

                                  Hi Frank N All,

                                  Today's Home Page picture reminded me of some patents for pop-pop boats that a came across several weeks ago. At lunch today I Googled "pop-pop steamboats" and came up with the following link.

                                  http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/patents.html

                                  This link is from Slater Harrison's Website. It is, however, not the same as the one I visited earlier. I uploaded to our "links". I also found the copper boat that I have been looking for. That too was uploaded to our photos "Home Pix".

                                  ENJOY!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
                                    Hi all,

                                    The specialty of the day was cooked up by combining the flip side of
                                    our official research vessel with the sketch of something similar to a
                                    printing plate that might be used to attach a layer of polymer clay to
                                    appropriate parts of purchased or downloaded kits for paper boats. We
                                    have two members who design and market paper boat kits, at least two
                                    members who know how to assemble them and a new member, Andrea Renee,
                                    a.k.a. the "cre8tive_babe," who joined the group yesterday. Andrea
                                    works with polymer and air drying clays and several kinds of paper and
                                    is also a member of the Google discussion "group Papermodels II."
                                    Look in the links section for "Andrea's Tiny Crafts web site."

                                    ttfn, Frank
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
                                      From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

                                      > Hi all,
                                      >
                                      > The specialty of the day was cooked up by combining the flip side of
                                      > our official research vessel with the sketch of something similar to a
                                      > printing plate that might be used to attach a layer of polymer clay to
                                      > appropriate parts of purchased or downloaded kits for paper boats. We
                                      > have two members who design and market paper boat kits, at least two
                                      > members who know how to assemble them and a new member, Andrea Renee,
                                      > a.k.a. the "cre8tive_babe," who joined the group yesterday. Andrea
                                      > works with polymer and air drying clays and several kinds of paper and
                                      > is also a member of the Google discussion "group Papermodels II."
                                      > Look in the links section for "Andrea's Tiny Crafts web site."
                                      >
                                      > ttfn, Frank

                                      Frank, I'm at a loss to understand what the polymer clay is for.
                                      Is it just a way of turning a paper boat into a PVC one?
                                      Why a material whose whole claim to fame is that it heat-softens ?

                                      Please enlighten.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
                                        wrote:

> [...]

                                        Hi David,

                                        I am still trying enlighten myself by joining groups with members who
                                        work with different types of polymer clay that harden when they are
                                        heated, and other clays that harden by air drying. My intent is to
                                        find some kind of one-shot material that can turn paper boats into
                                        pop-pop boats made partly of paper, which will still be there, and
                                        partly of some fairly inexpensive material that can make the paper
                                        waterproof, and a lot stronger. We have a new member who works with a
                                        variety of clays and papers. maybe she will chime in with an answer to
                                        your question when she sees it.

                                        ttfn, Frank
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                                          From: "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>

                                          > different types of polymer clay that harden when they are
                                          > heated, and other clays that harden by air drying. My intent is to
                                          > find some kind of one-shot material that can turn paper boats into
                                          > pop-pop boats made partly of paper, which will still be there, and
                                          > partly of some fairly inexpensive material that can make the paper
                                          > waterproof, and a lot stronger. We have a new member who works with a
                                          > variety of clays and papers. maybe she will chime in with an answer to
                                          > your question when she sees it.

                                          These clays are PVC and paper based respectively.

                                          Polymer clays re-soften with heat, and air-hardening clays shrink, but
                                          either can make you a little boat shell.

                                          Of course you'll still have to waterproof the paper on the outside.

                                          Good luck

                                          David
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                                            wrote:

> [...]
                                            Thanks David,

                                            The Trondak company makes a product called Map Seal for making paper
                                            maps waterproof and more resistant to repeated folding and unfolding.
                                            Go to <http://www.aquaseal.com/contact.html> for information. I don't
                                            know if there is a distributor in the UK, but you could probably find
                                            out by contacting Dan, the super customer service guy who sent me some
                                            treated and untreated pieces of map paper for testing. I did test them
                                            and discovered the stuff really works.

                                            Best wishes, Frank
                                          • Andrea AKA Angel
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                                              Frank thank you for that, I feel special now LOL I am glad to be here
                                              and have been looking online for all sorts of ideas.

                                              I do know how to make clay float. You may find on my web site a link
                                              to a special Polymer clay artists from Singapore named Garie Sim. I
                                              have featured him on my website http://tinycrafts.com/gariesim.html.
                                              He has tested polymer clay in many different ways and it it very
                                              useful information and instructions he provides.

                                              Thanks again for having me.

                                              Folded Paper Hugs
                                              Andrea