New member

  • Barry McClelland
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 29, 2006
       Hi All,
        I am Barry McClelland I own and run Railway Recollections. I am pretty much a one man show. I produce resin kits of mostly HOn30 (HO narrow gauge model trains) kits. I have been doing this for about 10 years 3 of which are full time.

        I might be able to produce hulls and other non mechanical parts out of resin and resin foam. I will also make molds for others to use. If I can produce the hulls out of foam there will not be the sinking and retrieval problem of a metal hull.

             Thanks Barry
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 29, 2006
        Hi Barry,

        You have an interesting specialty with narrow gauge kits. We have several "loco" members on the group who could answer this question, but how do go about finding dimensions for rare types of rolling stock? We are just getting around to a notion for using kits for paper boat models for inspiration. I haven't checked, but am assuming there are also kits for paper models of locomotives and railway cars. With regard to your ability to produce hulls and non mechanical parts, pop-pop boats are the ultimate in "non mechanical," because classic pop-pop engines don't have moving parts, and can be as elegantly simple as a length of metal tubing with a few turns of coil at the center center and two ends sticking out somewhere below the waterline for propulsion.
        Justin "Buzz" McMillian, owner of Buzz's Boatyard at <http://www.buzzboats.com/>, has installed radio controlled rudders in several of the larger boats manufactured by Rattandeep Enterprise company and has done some development of a custom boat with a vertical type pop-pop engine in a wooden hull. Buzz is probably the world's largest distributor of pop-pop boats. He is also a member of the pop-pop-steamboats group, and would probably be glad to help a fellow member get into the pop-pop boat production business.
        It goes without saying that we are glad to have you as a member , but I will "say" it anyway, we are DELIGHTED to have you onboard.

        Best wishes, Frank McNeill

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
          Hi Frank,
            I get most of my plans for kits from books and magazines, I also work from photos and occasionally freelance my own plans. For the locomotives I fit the plans to an existing model locomotive. I do get lucky and occasionally find a donor locomotive that almost fits a prototype locomotive within a couple of scale inches. Sometime I am able to actually get the dimensions first hand. There are some card models of some trains available, I really done follow this.

            I have done casting for other kit manufacturers. At this point I don't plan in going into selling boats, but I would like to help out. I have 10 years of casting experience and one of my friends is the list owner and moderator of the casting list. He lives very close to us.

            There are a number of products that can be used for casting and mold making. It is mostly a matter of finding the right products. If heat is involved it is just a matter of keeping the heat away from the resin parts. A simple heat shield and thought into design should help out greatly.

           The type of casting I do is very well suited for small production runs. For that matter it is not a big deal to cast one part or 500. The costs are very low compared to injection molding. Most of the casts are for the labor. If we do this I would prefer to start out with a small boat.
               Thanks Barry

          On 11/29/06, Barry McClelland <barry@railway- recollections. com> wrote:

           Hi All,
            I am Barry McClelland I own and run Railway Recollections. I am pretty much a one man show. I produce resin kits of mostly HOn30 (HO narrow gauge model trains) kits. I have been doing this for about 10 years 3 of which are full time.

            I might be able to produce hulls and other non mechanical parts out of resin and resin foam. I will also make molds for others to use. If I can produce the hulls out of foam there will not be the sinking and retrieval problem of a metal hull.

                 Thanks Barry

          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hi Barry,

            I'm the "CLERMONT" guy!

            Your operation sounds like it has potential for Creating at least
            prototype pop-pop Clermonts. Along that line I have a couple of
            questions for you.

            What is your process?

            What is you size restriction for your process and equipment?

            How stable is the material as far as warpage etc.?

            How fine a detail can you reproduce?

            I think that it would be a lot of fun trying to coordinate a working
            pop-pop boat using your expertise on the casting. We have others in the
            group who could develop the engine. With Frank and all his ideas we
            could definitely pull this off. I have a 3D model that I can scale up or
            down as req'd. It's not quite done yet, but the hull is doable. It's a
            3D shell that can be modified quite easily. Check the screen captures
            under Photos.

            Regards,

            Pete

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, " Barry McClelland"
            <barry@...> wrote:

            > Hi Frank,
            > I get most of my plans for kits from books and magazines, I also work
            from photos and occasionally freelance my own plans. For the locomotives
            I fit the plans to an existing model locomotive. I do get lucky and
            occasionally find a donor locomotive that almost fits a prototype
            locomotive within a couple of scale inches. Sometime I am able to
            actually get the dimensions first hand. There are some card models of
            some trains available, I really done follow this.

            > I have done casting for other kit manufacturers. At this point I don't
            plan in going into selling boats, but I would like to help out. I have
            10 years of casting experience and one of my friends is the list owner
            and moderator of the casting list. He lives very close to us.

            > There are a number of products that can be used for casting and mold
            making. It is mostly a matter of finding the right products. If heat is
            involved it is just a matter of keeping the heat away from the resin
            parts. A simple heat shield and thought into design should help out
            greatly.

            > The type of casting I do is very well suited for small production
            runs. For that matter it is not a big deal to cast one part or 500. The
            costs are very low compared to injection molding. Most of the casts are
            for the labor. If we do this I would prefer to start out with a small
            boat.
            > Thanks Barry

            10/27/06

          • Barry McClelland
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2006
              Hi Pete,
                The process, I start by making a master by hand. I use sheet, strip, tube. and shape styrene. I also laminate sheet styrene to make stock form my lathe. From the master I make the pre-production molds to make the production masters. Most production molds make more than one part. The molds are made out of RTV room temperature vulcanizing rubber. A silicone rubber with a 10% catalyst to cure it. The molds usually cure overnight. I do have to make boxes to put the master in to hold the rubber. Once I have the first set of production molds done I test them. I cast the molds with resin to be sure it works properly. I then assemble a kit from production parts. If everything fits I make as many sets of production molds as I need. Casting with resin, I use premium resin, you get what you pay for big time!! I measure out the resin 50-50 and mix it. The resin I use the most has a 3 minute work time. I work the into resin in the mold to get rid of bubbles. I can remove the parts in 30 to 60 minutes depending on detail and thickness.

                The main size restriction of my vacuum chamber. This is used to remover air from the RTV. It is 12 inch diameter. This can be worked around and larger molds can be made. I have not made any molds that wouldn't fit in the chamber. I have been around when larger molds have been made.

              Stability and Warpage, I use Alumilite RC-3 it is extremely stable. Most parts that warp are thin and can easily be fixed, thick parts rarely warp. To fix warped parts I dip them in boiled water for about 10 seconds the place on a flat surface and hold it down. Once it has cooled it will retain the shape.

                The detail that can be produced is unbelievable. I can write on a master with a pencil and you can read it on the casting.
                       Thanks Barry

              ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -\
              ------

              > Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              10/27/06

              Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • David
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007

                I received an invitation to join the group from Pete (North River 07).

                I have started reading the messages to get a feeling for what's been going on and so far am about a quarter way through.

                I've made two pop-pops.  The first can be seen  here.   I was pleasantly surprised at the speed.  The throbbing in the background is from the bathroom's ventilation fan, not the boat!

                The second has a hull about twice the size in which I started trying the same design of basic engine but of different sizes.  Not much came out of that experiment and I haven't done anything with it for a couple of years or so.  Now that I'm retired and almost unpacked after a house move it's amongst the list of things I want to get back to.

                I wonder if I could make a really BIG motor and stick it in an old galvanised bath tub and go popping along the canal .....

                My regards to everyone.

              • Jean-Yves Renaud
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007

                  Hi David,

                  Many people would like to propel a real size boat by means of a pop-pop (or putt-putt) engine. Maybe I will stop a sweet dream, but THIS IS NOT REALISTIC.

                  In 1975 Peter R. Payne wrote that the efficiency could reach 60%. Three years later he wrote that the theoretical efficiency could be 30 to 40%. Then nothing... because the actual efficiency is pathetic. See "Efficiency of a pop-pop engine" on www.eclecticspace.net). We can expect to increase the efficiency with the size of the engine. Nevertheless:

                  ·          It is so minute on a toy that it cannot be "acceptable" on a real size boat.

                  ·         To deliver an acceptable thrust would probably require a big pop-pop engine. I'm not sure that we can get the same thrust as with a classic propulsion for less weight. The biggest pop-pop engine I read about was not so light and according to Payne's writings: <<with a 1" pop-pop engine, a 14 foot aluminum (=light) rowboat reached a speed of 1.0 ft/sec>>. With more common units for non Americans, knowing that the speed evolves with the cubic root of the power, and knowing that such a boat reaches approximately 20 km/h with a 4 kW engine (5.5HP), one thousands of a horse power (less than 1 Watt) suffices to reach 1 ft/sec. And if the wind blows in the right direction….

                  ·          Even if some weight can be saved on the engine itself, think about the enormous amount of fuel (whatever it is) you will have to carry.

                  ·          What about using sea water inside the engine? When you know the water treatment and water quality that are required in a water/steam process...

                  ·          What about reversing to maneuver?

                  ·          What about burn out phenomenon? As far as I know, nobody has got a several day experience.

                  ·          The pop-pop engine is a reciprocating engine acting on a pulsed water jet. Would you be happy to live on a boat that is shaking day and night?

                  Don't misunderstand me. I love boats. When I was 18 I built my first sail boat (made of plywood), and when I was 26-27 I built a 45 foot ketch (made of steel) that I used with great pleasure for 24 years. I love pop-pop engines too. They are fascinating. That is why I read and write on this forum. But we must be realistic. If they are used only on toys it is not by chance. It is due to their very bad efficiency.

                  Jean-Yves

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
                      Thank you for your message Jean-Yves,

                      Yes, I knew that they couldn't be scaled up usefully.  I was just fantasising.

                      I had read on one of the other pop-pop sites about their limitations and, considering the flash-boiling on which they depend for their operation, it is no surprise.

                      Wth regards,

                      David

                      Equal rights for equal responsibilities.  Equal opportunities for equal abilities.
                    • David Bridgen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
                        Hello David and good evening.

                        I was using Esbit fuel in that video clip.  The only other I tried was one of those small squat candles often used beneath plate-warmers and also seen nowadays in churches where people leave candles for whatever purpose they leave candles for.

                        I'm in Lincs.

                        Best regards,

                        David

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 17, 2007
                              > My schoolboy French isn't good enough to interpret that web-page
                              (but...

                              Go again to www.eclecticspace.net. Then click on pop-pop, then go down
                              on the page and you should find all the documents in (American)English.
                              Good reading.
                              Jean-Yves
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 19, 2007

                                David,

                                WELCOME! I'm glad that you are already getting info from our group. We have a lot of talent with  a lot of information to share. We go off on tangents occasionally but the focus is on building a better pop-pop, whether it be paper, milk carton, plastic, metal or anything we might come up with. The large engines add a whole new dimension to our "game". Please keep us apprised of your projects once you get back into your experimentations.

                                Pete