New wood pop pop boat

  • frankbayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2013
      Hi

      This is my first effort to make a non fish tin type pop pop.

      The first minute of the video shows testing the boiler in the sink, a rectangular brass tube with two square brass outlets silver soldered.

      The wooden boat construction is then shown and the finished result.

      The friends I made it for have a dog called Nelson.

      The copper cabin was left on the first time but it got too hot so can only run with it removed.

      Works and steers well.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLejCYcQUr4

      Frank
    • Paul M
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2013
        A very nice boat, a shame really that you can't run the boat with the cabin on. A heat shield made of thin brass plate might solve that problem.

        Cheers,
        Paul

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankbayes" <frankbayes@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > This is my first effort to make a non fish tin type pop pop.
        >
        > The first minute of the video shows testing the boiler in the sink, a rectangular brass tube with two square brass outlets silver soldered.
        >
        > The wooden boat construction is then shown and the finished result.
        >
        > The friends I made it for have a dog called Nelson.
        >
        > The copper cabin was left on the first time but it got too hot so can only run with it removed.
        >
        > Works and steers well.
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLejCYcQUr4
        >
        > Frank

      • frank bayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2013
          Hi Paul

          Thanks for your interest.

          I have a copper and a brass heat shield inside at both ends and underneath, but the trapped heat produced was so much with three burners, the copper is now blued nicely!

          I am currently working on thin formed copper boilers silver soldered using siler solder paste, trying different shapes. I will put photos on if and when they work

          Frank