Re: Small RC pop-pop boat video

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2013

      > I came across this video when looking for CAD software.
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LD8NtB9dMs You may have to cut and paste.

      I've looked for small affordable RC setups for pop pop boats, but not much small and affordable. The boat below might be cannablized for its RC components.

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-Micro-Radio-Remote-Control-RC-Electric-Flying-Speed-Boat-Racing-Toy-/330885321152?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item4d0a4d51c0
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013
        Hi Frank,

        I have to admit I have been a delinquent member. I have spread myself a little too thin recently. Cathy and I volunteer 20-25 man hours per week at a Local food pantry. I also volunteer at the Hudson River Maritime Museum. the Clearwater Organization and the Clermont State Historic Site. I am also on an Advisory Committee to our school district. They have an empty elementary school which they are looking to "re-purpose". If that wasn't enough I moderate a Facebook group "things I remember growing up in Manchester, NH. I decided to organize a BBQ for the group. Of the 4700 members approx 10% said that they will attend. For now pop-pop gets whatever time is leftover.

        How are things with you? All is well here.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013
          Hi Kenneth,

          I am a retired Mechanical CAD Designer with 25 years of CAD experience on several different packages. I used Cadkey/Keycreator since 1994. In 2009 I learned Solidworks but took a voluntary layoff in 2010. I never got really proficient with it. Last year I was contacted by a friend who designs steam engines he as a project that he bid on in Michigan. He asked me if I would do the CAD work for him. I can't afford the $5K for Keycreator or the over $10K for Solidworks. I have been looking at Alibre Design Professional. It sells for $2300 but includes a $400 annual maintenance contract. They sent a trial copy to me to use for a month. It seems quite impressive. Thursday they called and offered the package to me for under $2K. I'm between a rock and a hard place because the contract hasn't been awarded yet. Retirement is so much fun!

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013
            The price is right. Looks like it definitely has potential. THANKS for sharing with the group.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013

              > The price is right. Looks like it definitely has potential. THANKS for sharing with the group.

              Another case of the price is right happened two weeks ago. After posponing getting the below torch kit for a couple of years, I went to HF to finally get it. It came in two seperate boxes (tanks in one and torch/caddy in another), and the guys had to search around to find the caddy box. Finally got to the register and the clerk shot one of the boxes and the $279.99 displayed on the register. Then the clerk said "let me try something" and got out what appeared to be a laminated coupon from under the register, and shot it. Then he said "how that look?". The price had dropped to $209.99. I said "now we talking!". Not sure what the magic card was, and with other people in line behind me, I didn't ask questions. Now to build the world's largest operating pop pop engine.

              http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-torch-kit-with-oxygen-and-acetylene-tanks-65818.html
            • whitedenims
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013
                Pete,

                If the free "123D Design" software is not enough CAD horsepower for your
                tasks, investigate the new SpaceClaim software. It is my understanding that
                you can get it; by explicitly asking for a lower price, for approximately
                the same "under $2k" Alibre Design Professional product that you have
                referenced.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 17, 2013
                  Kenneth,

                  I had heard of SpaceClaim a couple of years ago. I think that it was from England. I did go to there Website. It List for around $2500. No mention of Annual maintenance cost. It's a direct modeler which is to my liking as that is what KeyCreator is. They are much more intuitive and easier to use than the History based modelers. I will have to do some more research and try to get a trial copy when Alibre trial runs out. Thanks.

                • Daryl
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20, 2013
                    Pete, Tried to PM you but it would not go through.Are you still around? Daryl.