Re: Radio control pop-pop boats

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
      Hi Buzz,

      That report that I et al isn't true, I got out of the cannibalism
      scene several months ago and never ate anybody named al
      that I can recall.
      Thanks for the new information. I knew that you were working
      with radio control, but didn't know until now that you have
      installed r/c equipment in the pop-pop "Titanic." Rudder control
      I assume, and possibly one of downsized systems that several
      suppliers offer in addition to standard stuff. Please consider the
      possibility for using a refillable butane candle lighter some time,
      rather than a candle, and take a gander at that pipe with the
      built-in lighter while humming that tune about what happens
      when the lovely flame dies and smoke gets in your eyes.

      Best wishes, old Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "buzzsboatyard" <buzzsboatyard@...>

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
        Sorry about this Buzz,

        but I zipped past the reference to the "cheaprc.com" you're
        working on. Please post a link to it in our links section when
        it's ready for prime time viewing. We already have a link to
        Buzz's BoatYard. If you enter thenes link as Cheaprc.com it
        should show up close to the one for the BoatYard. Thanks
        a bunch for coming on board because posts have suddenly
        shot up from almost Zilch to Zowie!!

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
        > > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
        > >
        > > Best wishes, Frank
        > >

        > > --- Charles Duggie <mineadmiral@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi;
        > > > I went to the informational links and read up on
        > > > pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be
        > > > made large enough to carry radio control gear. How
        > > > big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1
        > > > boat?
        > > > As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on
        > > > them. But I believe there are Stirling powered
        > > > submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian
        > > > navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?
        > > >
        > > > Chuck Duggie
        > > >

        > > > ---------------------------------
        > > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low
        > > > PC-to-Phone call rates.
        > >
        > > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted

      • Donald Munsey Jr.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1 6:32 AM
          Buzz,

          KOOL Boat!

          Now you've got my interest and I can bet there will be a few others interested in your cheaprc program.  There is a faction of the On30 Model Railroad community, led by Woodie Clyde Greene of the Texas Outlaws On30 group, that is rebelling against layout wiring and track cleaning. They are converting their locomotives to self-contained, battery powered R/C units.  I'm a remote follower and have several S/Sn42 and 1:24 R/C locos in the works (I use many of the same mechanisms the On30 crowd does).  The current source of choice for the R/C electronics for these conversions is the Kyosho Mini-Z 1:24 R/C autos with digital proportional speed control (As yet the steering channel is not often used - however - there are lot's of creative folk into R/C trains - so who knows).  At about $100 a pop (cheaper occasionally on e-bay) the Mini-Z racers are a bit pricey, but still very much affordable.  Your $60 R/C speed boat peaques my interest!  Here are a couple of questions:

          1.  Can you slow the boat down to operate something like a tug boat (I want a 1:24 river tug for my garden railway)?  In other words, Is the speed controller proportional, or full forward only?

          2.   What is the size of the electronics and battery components for this boat?

          3.   Can they be physically separated?

          4   Can they be purchased separately?

          5.  Can different boats be operated simultaneously?

          6.  Is there a rudder in this boat (2nd channel), or is directional controll accomplished by differential thrust applied to the port and starboard engines?

          That's all I can think of now.

          Keep in touch.
          Don Munsey, Jr.
          dmunseyjr@...
          Sn42 and Hn42 logging fan
          Virginian Rwy fan
          Bonsai grasshopper
          Living in the UpperRightCorner of Louisiana.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2 1:15 PM
            Oh, no big deal. It isn't much to look at right now. The boats are
            fun.... but I'm really hooked one one of the r/c planes! Seems like
            the day flies by so fast I just don't have the time to do all the
            things I'd like to.

            <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > "Titanic."
            > > > The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
            > > > equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
            > > > 12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
            > > > as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
            > > > with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
            > > > ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
            > > > With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
            > > > for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
            > > > There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
            > > > by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
            > > > posted a link to the American Stirling company to
            > > > provide an answer to how small can they be.
            > > > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
            > > > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
            > > >
            > > > Best wishes, Frank

            > > > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted

          • buzzsboatyard
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2 1:32 PM
              Thanks, Don... it really is a screamer. But no, it is not
              proportional. It's full on when you hit the throttle. I had to learn
              to stand beside it instead of behind it when I hit the throttle after
              getting soaked a couple of times. <g> It is differential thrust.
              If you're thinking of putting this in something small... it might not
              fit as the radio is a bit large. I really think, for the money,
              that the Specktrum DX-6 radio is the best for the price. It transmits
              and receives on 2 channels... no glitches. The receivers are also very
              small. I'd better shut up, because I think there is an article coming
              out soon in Steam In The Garden magazine. Look for it... I use one
              now and it is incredible!

              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Munsey Jr."

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2 1:52 PM
                Hi Don and Buzz,

                There is another way to slow the "screamer" down by using props with
                a flatter pitch. Guys on the tugsandtows group started making their
                own props after discovering that props made by using fixtures to
                twist the blades of props cut from flat metal worked just as well as
                custom made props designed to look like those on real tug boats.
                Flat blades wouldn't provide any thrust, so it seems reasonable to
                believe that a very slight degree of twist would provide a very
                slight degree of propulsion and speed. Maybe that's why I have so
                much trouble propelling myself out of bed these days.