Thrust versus pipe lenght

  • Paul M
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2012
      I just altered an engine from two pipes two three pipes and cut them to size to fit the boat. To my surprise the other engine (one boat, two engines) with the old pipes (not cut to lenght) performs much better. (The inner diameter of the pipes is about the same, boiler is identical in size.)
      Both engines run at about the same frequency.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHblsRAZQ0
      I didn't upload a vid of the other engine, because it does exactly the same as the engine in the vid, only a bit less. (The engine sprayed water as far as half a meter!)

      The 3 pipe engine runs reliable on everything, ranging from a small wick burner to a huge flame. The 2 pipe engine does run on a small flame, but runs more stable on lots of heat.

      Can I conclude that thrust depends on pipe lenght?
      If this is true, I assume that the resistance in a longer pipe is the reason an engine delivers more thrust and if that is true, three shorter pipes with a lesser diameter (lesser diameter is more resistance) should perform equal to an engine with two large pipes. Seems odd to me!

      Question, questions....

      Cheers,
      Paul