Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Boilers for boats made in India

  • JEFFREY BICHT
    Message 1 of 8 , May 26 5:34 AM
      Paul,
      I go to unofficial mamod forum a lot and my screen name is 46u. I see you are running square pipe and is one of the questions I had if square makes any difference in performance or just the same as round.

      The closes hobby shop to me is all most 100 miles from me but I did find this place online. http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm What silver content solider do you use? Being I have many steam engines I am familiar with most types of solider up to and including silver braze.
      Thanks
      Jeff

      Message 2 of 8 , May 26 6:21 AM
        I knew you are 46u. ;)

        The only reason I used square tube was that I didn't have any round tube lying around. I don't think the shape of the tubes makes any difference in performance. I use 55% silver solder with borax powder as flux. Borax is a bit messy, but it's cheap.

        Cheers,
        Paul

        Message 3 of 8 , May 26 6:41 AM
          I have one of he first Titanic and it has quite a bit of room. The stock boiler is junk and lasted one run. Thinking about trying to make a better boiler.
          Thanks

          Message 4 of 8 , May 26 9:36 AM
            One of the fun things about pop pop boats besides being a pop pop steam boat captain is being a pop pop steam boat mechanic. Unless there is a catistrophic failure, most of the Indian boat engines can be repaired. I'd say between 1 in 5 to 10 pop pops arrive with engines with air leaks. I put the boats in water and blow hard on the tubes to identify leak locations. I've been able to repair most small leaks using a very small drop of epoxy glue (JBWeld inn high temp areas) on the tip of a toothpick. attempting a solder repair on the engines more often resulted in more damage to the engine.

          • bichtj@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 8 , May 26 9:44 AM
              For my first attempt of building a boiler I am going to try some 3/8 copper pipe with end caps. As far as the intake exhaust tubes I have several sizes and have not make up my mind. I going to try and put it in a 6 inch tug boat I have the boiler has gone bad. To start with I am going to soft solider it so if I make changes or does not work well I can change it easier with less money involved. Just got back from Ace Hardware with a small lot of parts.

              Message 6 of 8 , May 26 6:17 PM
                First attempt to build a boiler for the most part was a big success being my first one. It is just about as fast as the light stock boiler but not quite. The boat is quite a bit heaver with the boiler I made and I feel my biggest problem is it needs more heat as I was using the stock little candle that comes with most boats. My next project is going to be building an alcohol burner to see if this helps. Keep in mind this is all in a little 6 inch made in India tugboat. One thing is for sure it is not going to rust or crack a diaphragm! All so seem much more consistent.