Re: put put battleship

    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2012
      -- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "RyanN" <deridex120@...> wrote:
      > Anywho, I wanted to add the putput engine to one of the water-capable
      > models.
      >
      > I ran into a few problems.
      >
      > 1.) I could never perfect a boiler- every prototype leaked. I used JB weld to fix a tin can together. I need a better epoxy glue, but I'm not sure which one I need.

      You could fairly inexpensivly move up to brazing copper and steel with a map gas torch. Brazed joints and seams allow for very high temperatures that facilitate flashing water and generating rapid pressure spikes. If the joined engine surfaces are sufficiently distant from the heat source, JBWeld might still be useable.

      > 2.) Any boiler system I built (that could work temporarily) was
      insufficient to push large, heavy crafts. Typical ship dimensions:
      approx 3~4 ft. length, approx 9 in. width, approx 3~4 in. height.
      general weight, approx 10~15 lbs.

      Better performing 1/4" tube engines are starting to appear. I think there is still interest in building larger pop pop engines, if only to have 15 min of fame for having made the largest successful operating engine. There is a picture on the net of a large ~3' German pop pop that appears to have two flat boilers.
    • RyanN
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2012
        here are some photos.

        http://i.imgur.com/A21cx.jpg?1
        http://i.imgur.com/MFUWl.jpg?1

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "RyanN" <deridex120@...> wrote:

        > A long time ago, I had a lot of time on my hands and built little ships
        > out of paper and tape- mainly to make july 4th more fun. nothing beats a
        > little war in the driveway.
        > Well, over the past 5 years I've improved one thing or another, model
        > after model, series after series have been constant improvements. My
        > most popular model can support a 20 lb barbell without caving.
        > impressive for paper.
        > (I would post pictures, but I haven't found any upload forms yet.)
        >
        > Anywho, I wanted to add the putput engine to one of the water-capable
        > models.
        >
        > I ran into a few problems.
        >
        > 1.) I could never perfect a boiler- every prototype leaked. I used JB
        > weld to fix a tin can together. I need a better epoxy glue, but I'm not
        > sure which one I need.
        >
        > 2.) Any boiler system I built (that could work temporarily) was
        > insufficient to push large, heavy crafts.
        > Typical ship dimensions:
        > approx 3~4 ft. length, approx 9 in. width, approx 3~4 in. height.
        > general weight, approx 10~15 lbs.

      • Slater Harrison
        Message 3 of 7 , May 21, 2012

          How do you make it waterproof, Ryan? Just tape?

          > A long time ago, I had a lot of time on my hands and built little ships
          > out of paper and tape- mainly to make july 4th more fun. nothing beats a
          > little war in the driveway.
          > Well, over the past 5 years I've improved one thing or another, model
          > after model, series after series have been constant improvements. My
          > most popular model can support a 20 lb barbell without caving.
          > impressive for paper.
          > (I would post pictures, but I haven't found any upload forms yet.)
          >
          > Anywho, I wanted to add the putput engine to one of the water-capable
          > models.
          >
          > I ran into a few problems.
          >
          > 1.) I could never perfect a boiler- every prototype leaked. I used JB
          > weld to fix a tin can together. I need a better epoxy glue, but I'm not
          > sure which one I need.
          >
          > 2.) Any boiler system I built (that could work temporarily) was
          > insufficient to push large, heavy crafts.
          > Typical ship dimensions:
          > approx 3~4 ft. length, approx 9 in. width, approx 3~4 in. height.
          > general weight, approx 10~15 lbs.

          This message, together with any attachments, may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments.

        • Wes Goostrey
          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2012
            Why can't I get to the two links to see what this battleship looks like ? I keep getting a page that says "FORBIDDEN"
            Wes

            Message 5 of 7 , May 21, 2012
              @Goostrey:
              I don't know why you get the "forbidden" error, but try this alternate link. I used photobucket.
              http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/_Immortal_Rayden/100_0700.jpg
              http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/_Immortal_Rayden/263127_212660818776863_100000988404861_579398_2226617_n.jpg

              @Harrison
              The best way to insulate the paper properly from water is a solid layer of foil to cover the bottom, and at least the lower half of the side hull, (for water sloshing) this completely stops the paper from absorbing water, assuming there are no flaws in the foil coating. the surface tension between calm water and the foil also provides an excellent "glide" with a gentle push. additionally, aluminum foil bonds excellently to scotch tape- which is my tape of choice.

              An undercoating of tape (of any kind) will produce air bubbles and pockets which will trap water. This destroys the adhesive and promotes "pulping" of the underside hull. Needless to say, too much "pulping" would render the ship unservicable.